3 Springer chassis

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 3 Springer chassis
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

Anyone done a 3 spring-er chassis? What front springs did you use? I'm thinking of doing a 3 spring chassis for my Fronty Speedster.

thnx

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Jorgensen on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 11:32 pm:

Our speedster is a 3-spring.

Front springs are Chevy.

speedster1
speedster2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 02:32 am:

Ivan, would that be a Franklin front axle? Do you know where the frame comes from? Is it an old build?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 11:14 am:

I have a Franklin front axle that is surplus to my needs. No spindles, but they wouldn't be too hard to make

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

Not to steal Les's post, but I also have a Franklin front axles with spindles, unmolested Series 10 steering gear, Chrysler tube axle (non Elliot) style, Whippet radiator shell and radiator, late 20's early 30's Chevy frame rails (3 springer) with front springs, 23-25 roadster body. Too many projects, too many cars and not enough time. No hurry to sale message me if you have an interest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

Joe
No problem!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

Ivan,

I love your speedster.

Can you provide some details on your frame? Is it a modified T frame or another make? If it's a T frame, what is your technique for the front frame modifications?

My grandfather had plans to build a 3 spring speedster back in the mid '70s. I remember he started modifying a mid '20s Dodge axle. The axle came off a burned out Dodge sedan that was sitting in my great-great uncle's orchard. I do not know the whereabouts of that axle.

Anyway, I bought a Franklin axle and would love to incorporate it into a 3 spring speedster/racer. I have a Rajo BBR that needs a good, fast, safe home. All I need is a frame....and some money.

Does any one have suggestions for a frame that would make a good 3 spring chassis for a T? Joe mentioned a Chevy frame. Felix Graves used a Hupp Model 20 frame.

felix

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Jorgensen on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

The front axle is a Franklin.

The frame is Model T that has "horns" welded on the front.

Tom, are you going to be at the endurance run this weekend?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

I will not be doing the endurance run this year. The location change does not work for me.

Thanks for the info on your frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Meixner on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

I used an Essex frame,Chrysler axle, Franklin steering.Installed T rear crossmember. Makes for roomy ride. Lots of work, not for the faint of heart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

Got a ton of private messages from interested parties on the parts I mentioned. They are in Ohio, so those people interested on the West Coast keep that in mind. Second, I do intend to sell. I've collected these over the last 20 years with the intent to build another car. I already have one in the works and not enough time/space for a second project. The parts generally came from the Mid West so they are in very nice shape. I'm in no hurry to sell, so with that said, I'll spend some time this summer and take pictures and attempt to price them. Many of the parts don't come up very often so pricing is difficult. I will get back to everyone who has expressed an interest as soon as I'm done. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 08:14 am:

What are you guys running for spindles and hubs on your Franklin axles?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 12:31 am:

I really appreciate your input fellas. I am undecided whether to use a t frame or a 1918 Chevrolet chassis that has been offered to me.

I kinda want to stay with a model t frame but still on the fence. Looking for a Franklin front axle and a pair of low profile springs from some mid 20's car. I have found a worm and sector model t steering unit so I'm good there.

Any thoughts and ideas greatly appreciated.

thnx

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 09:01 am:

I've been putting this together. I had a T chassis and some Overland parts. I've just got it bolted together for now. I just liked the spring design and the T axle was bent like a boomerang so I thought I'd try to make something different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Csorba (Australia) on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 08:25 am:

This is a 4 springer, on 4 T front springs.
The fronts are on cast extensions.
The rears are semi cantilever, with long front shackles, a trunnion in the middle and a large bearing surface on the diff tubes.
BruceProfessor Fate & daughter
Professor Fate & daughter collect the Euphonium
(School pickup)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

Bruce - any details on the wheels on your car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 12:09 am:

Corry,

I have a 1928 Overland sprint car. The frame is narrowed and the side rails were reversed. It is powered by a 1928 Chev 2 port engine and transmission mated to the Overland rear end.

It rolls on 30x3-1/2 Budd wire wheels(Overland) with smooth black tires. It is cooled with a Whippet radiator. A Hunt magneto supplies the juice with a down draft Winfield carb.

I love the angle of the front and rear springs as it adds the element of interest.

Its quick, fast and damn loud. Lots of fun on the road.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Csorba (Australia) on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 07:35 am:

Dan,
I think the wheels are Hayes.
They have the rolled in edge at the lugs.
Hayes and Ford 30x3.5 rims fit.
Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 09:44 am:

I don't have a 3 springer chassis, but I do have a 3 Springer interior

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Butterworth on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 07:44 am:

I have made several 3 springers.I used modelT frames front axles and T springs. Not shown in the picture. If you contact me I can explain how I do it.Pic1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Butterworth on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 07:52 am:

Found another picturePic1

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration