1926 tudor sedan new owner

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1926 tudor sedan new owner
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Stevenson on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 02:11 am:

Just wanted to say that I have read a great deal of these threads and they have been very helpful to me, so thank you guys!
I do have a couple more questions on a couple different topics.

First, I have recently acquired some YOM licenses plates to register the car in California. The plates do start with a C, does this mean it was for commercial vehicles? And is it still ok that I register it under these? Any tips for registering the car in California too would be great it has not been registered in a couple years, got it from a family member.

Secondly, the car runs great but was sitting in a car garage for a couple years. What is the best way to clean the engine, axles and exterior?

Finally, I was trying to get the horn to work and dissembled the button on the steering wheel and followed the wires to the 6th fuse. If sitting in the drivers seat the right most fuse. And we found that the 5th and the 6th fuses were not getting power and all the other fuses were. Where is the power coming from for these fuses? And we know the horn works because when hooking up an Auxiliary battery giving power to the bottom part of the 6th fuse the horn worked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Stevenson on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 02:46 am:

looking at it this way it is the left most fuses, cannot find where that red wire goes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 03:08 am:

Multiple fuses (or any fuses) are not part of standard Model T circuitry. Your car has been converted to a distributor setup, and there's no telling what other alterations were made along with that.

This is a stock terminal block in a 1923 touring. The one in a 1926 car would be similar.

I don't know how much help this will be if "creative" wiring has been inflicted, but here's how Ford made it.

John Regan, who knows his electrical stuff, suggests a single fuse in the yellow wire as close to G as possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

Russel,
You may have some difficulties with the DMV over your plate with a C for the first digit--but it is NOT a commercial plate, a commercial plate would have a vertical "COM" before the number. Have the office look in their plate book Barney, my '25 roadster has a YOM plate starting with a "C" so I've been around this block myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

Valid question about cleaning that nice Tudor Russell. Two of mine are rust buckets so IF I wash, I use a scrub brush and the hose. :-)
Shoot, I'd prob'ly use a little dish soap in warm water and a soft wash cloth after a good rinse BUT I don't know if that's correct.
It'll be neat when you get it cleaned up and show us a few pics. Hint hint. :-)
Glad you're here and welcome!

Stepping WAY out on a limb, that dead red wire that goes into the harness; could it possibly be the number 2 red magneto wire shown in the diagram Steve shows? That doesn't make any sense tho. I'd assume the late cars all used battery horns...
IF you didn't know yet, NEVER feed the magneto any 12 volt DC power if you can help it. It'll kill/weaken the magneto. That would be bad.

Ya, you have some tracing and testing to do eh? Put your detective hat back on when you get a chance. :-)
I don't find it a bad thing that your car has the fuse panel.
The folks that installed it either didn't have the correct parts or wanted to be certain
the wiring harness and the rest of the car was fully protected from melt-downs or way worse.
It does make wiring questions harder to answer tho as your car has been personalized. Keep at it, you'll get it sorted. :-)
Duane

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration