Brass kingston repair

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Brass kingston repair
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 08:45 am:

Bought a nice Kingston carburetor, but was damaged in shipping. The throttle lever was bent down at about a 25 degree angle. Wondering if anyone has straightened one before. Being cast brass, I'm afraid of it breaking. Should I use a little heat on it? Any thoughts..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 08:52 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/77053.html?1231267190

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 08:55 am:

Heating it while bending won't work but heating it to a dull red before and letting it cool will anneal it and would be a good idea.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

Thanks for the info. I will anneal it and try to bend it back to shape, although the post office bent it cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

"...although the post office bent it cold."

You're going to bend it cold too, but after you anneal it. You're annealing it to relieve the stress that the post office put into it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

Yup, Thanks Jerry. I'm on board with it, I was just being funny.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration