How much windshield

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How much windshield
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

When driving a Touring with the top down, or with no top, like mine, do you like the windshield with the top half up or folded down? How much difference does it make in the wind? Steve J do you ever lose your hat? I wear one like it myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

This being Kansas, there are sometimes strong crosswinds. So yes, I've had to chase my hat a couple of times. I've never had the problem in a headwind or a tailwind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Being the owner of a period skimmer, it's a wonder to me how men managed to keep them on back in the day! I wear my newsboy hat when I drive my Model T. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max L. Christenson on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

I prefer all the way up, as it deters getting bugs in your teeth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 02:38 am:

I've managed to lose my hat a few times in spite of having the windshield fully deployed. -What's needed is a simple gadget known as a "cap retainer." -They come in different lengths, so you can get one long enough for a straw boater.

I have one and it works just fine.

I've driven my '15 Touring with the top up a few times and was surprised at the strong parachute effect. -With that and the decreased visibility, I much prefer to keep the top down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 08:41 am:

we have a wwII jeep that has the windshield that folds all the way down on the hood. in that position, my son gets his sunglasses on and drives. I ask him why and he says, it's the law. windshield or eye protection

i'm 5ft 16 in, so my head sticks over the windshield even when it is up I take hat off unti we get to whre we are going and then put it back on

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

Last fall when I had the 18 out, one click back on the windshield cut the cold air turbulence around it quite a bit.
Fully aerodynamic then. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

I found that adjusting the windshield back one click helps deflect the wind over your head and still keep the bugs out of your teeth. It seems to set up a nice null spot so my hat (boater) stays put, better than with the windshield straight up. Although a top also makes a great difference too...that's my next goal...to get a top, even if I've got to make it myself out of canvas. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 06:00 pm:

Martin, it works like an air foil and is the same principal behind the canvas Cambridge windshields of the period. I have one on my speedster and it works fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

When I have kids in the back seat who do not know the top of the windshield folds down, I yell back to them, "who likes wind in their hair, who likes wind in their face, who likes bugs in their teeth", and quickly surprise them by pulling down the windshield! They scream and we have a great time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

I had a canvas/mesh type hat with a leather draw string on it. I mainly used it in the garden and when out with the roadster. It never fit my head very well and I was always adjusting the draw string. I hated it, but I was too cheap to throw it away. Several times we had to stop so my wife could go fetch it. One Saturday tour on the way home, it came off my head for the last time and I said the heck with it. Well, the kind guy behind me stopped and picked it up and returned it at the next set of lights. The following Sunday, I was driving back solo and that hat got me again for the last time. I was moving along and a gust of wind pulled it off my head, but this time the draw string grabbed my glasses and pulled it along with it. I pulled over immediately, and blindly started looking for my glasses in 10 inch tall grass. The hat I saw immediately, scowled at it and picked it up. I spend the next 10 minutes searching for it, cursing that hat quite often. I gave up and called my wife to come and help me find my glasses, after she stopped laughing, I continued to search and finally spotted them 20 feet from where I had found the hat. I drove home elated to have found my glasses, but upon arrival I pitched that hat into the trash and it hasn't been an issue since.

This had nothing to do with your windshield, but I needed to tell my story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

Would love to open my windshield more than the 3 or 4 inches i can and still adjust the rear-view mirror to be able to see behind me. I hate modifying it, but i see no alternative...People back then were a tad smaller it seems. :-) Anyone else have this problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 07:04 am:

Martin says back one click, and John says open 3 or 4 inches. Are we talking about different body styles here? My windshield top half folds down forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 08:29 am:

Tommy:

If you have a 1921 touring and if your windshield folds forward, then your hinges are on backwards.

To fix, you need to swap left to right and vice versa.

Unscrew the hinges from the bottom half of the windshield and turn top half of the windshield 180 degrees.

Or, remove the entire windshield from the cowl and rotate 180 degrees.

Etc…..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 09:52 am:

In Massachusetts, if the vehicle has no windshield, eye protection is required.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration