Steering gear aftermarket Model T Ford.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Steering gear aftermarket Model T Ford.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 11:54 pm:

I recently got a worm and sector steering box accessory for a model t from a good friend.

It is a "Standard Foundry Omaha" manufacture. This steering box had a attached bracket that bolts to the frame in the same holes used for the lower Ford bracket. This bracket has the same angle as a stock lower bracket.

It uses a Ford shaft and pitman arm and has 2 loops cast in it to support the lower ends of the spark and throttle rods. The sector has an adjustable off set bushing to adjust the backlash. There is a lock to not allow over steering.

Anyone ever seen one of these?????

just askin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 12:59 am:

Wow! I know that several companies made or sold such steering gears for the model T. Ross is probably best known, but I have heard of a couple others. I don't believe I have ever heard of that one. Let alone, seen one.
Congratulations!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 01:00 am:

Pictures would help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 09:18 am:

bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

Ford changed the lower mounting configuration for the 26-7 model by quite a bit. One designed for the earlier car really doesn't fit well on them. I learned this the hard way with my Ross steering box project
I can't help you with any information on the version you have

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

Any of these after market steering boxes require a method of dealing with the twisting forces that they impart to the frame rail.
Ross used a frame "boxing " piece
Others seemed to have relied on a brace to the engine
Without some method of handling this issue, the function will not be very satisfactory

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

I will try and post photos of my steering box this weekend. I will take your advice, Les and secure the box to the frame via boxing or to the motor.

thnx,

brasscarguy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration