Info on Detroit Gasoline Gauge

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Info on Detroit Gasoline Gauge
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duane Gibson on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 05:17 am:

Has anyone seen this type of fuel gauge? Any information on years used and what it might be worth? The tank is pretty rusted on the inside but I'm interested in buying it for the gauge from someone I know. I want to be fair with him but I don't know what value to put on it. It will take lots of soaking with Kroil before the gauge could be removed. I want to get this gauge to have as a spare for my ole Touring. Thanks in advance for any information!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 05:56 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/304942.html?1346263614

A similar gage was offered here by Ray Syverson. I haven't seen any recent postings from him but his profile is still on the forum. I also know the late John Danuser offered several for sale over the years. I don't know if you can search the ads that far back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duane Gibson on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 06:47 am:

Thank you for the assistance! I did find that Standex Mfg. Co. took over the Detroit Gasoline Gauge Co. and sold the same Detroit gauge under the Standex name. No luck on finding a value for it yet, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw Richmond Va. on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 09:33 am:

Be careful. My experience is that the iron casting is brittle. I would sacrifice the tank.
Fill the tank with water and use a mechanical means of removing the cap ring (air chisel). I would then (after removing from the tank) use a Dremmel tool to grind through the threads to release the guage.
Danger.. once the water is removed, you still have an explosive devise.
Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 10:01 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/198688.html?1306066712

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duane Epper on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 10:19 am:

One just sold on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/272686004137?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STR K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duane Gibson on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 02:09 pm:

Lee, great advice! If I can get it bought reasonably for the condition that it currently is in, I will try that. I already have a good fuel cap gauge on my car, different than this style, and a spare tank so the tank can be sacrificed. Once it is removed, it may not be possible to repair it to get it to work, but, I'd like to try. Thank you Jay and Duane!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duane Gibson on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

Jay, you have a nice collection!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration