How much back and forth play in wire wheel large drum rear end?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How much back and forth play in wire wheel large drum rear end?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clyde Gibson on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 02:30 am:

I am new to this hobby .I had flat on my 1926 Fordor Sedan today and when put the wire wheel back on I noticed when I glad the top and pulled back and forth it had play in it. Should I pull the rearend rebuild it now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 04:34 am:

Time to check the thrust bearings in the rear end. This is important because it could cause the loss of brakes or an axle to snap. Be safe and take the time and effort to know what you have there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 04:41 am:

This is a what was left of my thrust bearing in my 27 Fordor...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 04:47 am:

With the wheel removed you should be able to check the axle for slop. If the axle has no in and out movement then I would check that the wheel is tight on the axle. It could be a worn hub or axle or both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard ( Australia) on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 05:21 am:

I had about 1/4 inch slop in the back end of my '26..on the right side was worse than the left. The right brake drum was scored internally and you could see where it had been rubbing on the brake shoe. There was NOTHING resembling a thrust washer left inside when I stripped it down, so I would suggest a look inside might be the order of the day for your rig. Tomorrow I'm putting the rear axle back in the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 10:58 am:

Clyde, pull the rear end apart and thoroughly rebuild it. If everything is in good shape you'll just be out some time and a set of gaskets. If your rear axle has issues it is better to find them now than when you're driving the car. A rear axle failure means loss of the foot brake and or a wheel.

Stephen

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration