Burned up generator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Burned up generator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Franko on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 09:21 am:

The rebuilt generator from my 1926 t burned up. Less than 20 miles on generator. I never seen it discharge. All of a sudden it just stopped working .The generator repair guy told me he thinks it could be the battery that caused it. I don't know how . I have a 6volt optimum battery, the cutout is a Nu-Rex that was already on the generator. Can the cutout be checked off the generator. I never heard of a Nu-Rex cutout. Any opinions. Thanks. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 09:44 am:

Tim
The NU Rex diode replacement for a relay style cutout can be checked on the bench with a Ohm meter. Give me a call if you need help. But, I doubt that is your problem. My guess is the generator did not have a battery connected as a load, ran away thus destroying itself.
Ron Patterson
859-881-1677

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Franko on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 10:15 am:

Thank you Ron. I may be calling! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 10:27 am:

Tim
I went out to the shop this morning and was thinking about your problem.
Is it possible you purchased and installed a Nu Rex diode cutout for a Model A Ford instead of a Model T Ford?
If this occurred you would get the exact results you experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Franko on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 11:04 pm:

Ron, the cutout is marked gen & bat neg ground in the back. I have'nt had time to test it yet. Thank you again! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

Tim, how long have you had the car and was the car set up positive ground? Did you change it to the correct negative ground recently?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Franko on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

Mark, I purchased this car in 1981.Sold it in 1991 & my son bought it back in 2015. It was a Fathers day surprise! He found it at a garage sale. I never realized the great times & the bonding we had (and still do) . My son was 16 yrs. old when I sold it,& was about 40 when he bought it back. Sorry for the rambling,but I was touched by his memories that I was unaware of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

A and T diode cutouts look the same but one is neg ground (T) and one is pos ground (A). Diodes are polarity sensitive, work one way only.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration