Interesting speedster tbay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Interesting speedster tbay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 06:32 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1926-Ford-Model-T-Black-/152580725396?hash=item2386851a9 4:g:7bsAAOSwi8VZPAtU&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 06:52 am:

Interesting twin mounted NH carbs.
Connected main jet adjustment of both from the seat - with some luck the available 1/3 of a turn adjustment is just what's needed :-)

hjk

(Message edited by Roger K on June 11, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

Many years ago, a good friend ran two Holly NHs sideways like that. Worked great! Most of the time. He said if he took a really fast wide (left?) turn, that was long enough, the centrifugal force of the turn caused the gasoline in the carburetor bowl to all flow to one side. It would push the float up, and stop allowing fresh gasoline to enter, starving the car for fuel before he completed the turn. It didn't happen often, and he ran the car that way for many years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 12:21 am:

I wish I could get my hands on those multi-lifts! I really want to reproduce them. I feel like that would be a wicked speedster accessory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 01:19 am:

Why does one photo show high mounted drum headlights, while
another shows standard T headlights mounted low ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 01:30 am:

Good eye! Good question. I see that the wheel color and hubcaps changed also. My GUESS would be that the yellow wheels Ford headlamps photo is older, and the wheel color and headlamps were changed. But that an older photo was used. Very common for speedsters to get upgrades and improvements over several years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 11:37 am:

Not sure I would call the high mount "frogeye" headlight change an "upgrade".
The high radiator/low headlight look of the Model T is what makes them so
distinctive and one of the aesthetic points I like best about them.

This car strikes me as proportionally awkward. If I squint, I see a MGTD profile
of too tall for the overall proportions. Maybe the builder was tall and needed the
interior space ? It looks like a good starting point for the type of speedster I
would build, but i think the car would get a 3' body stretch to counter the height.
Give it Mercer type proportions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 11:44 am:

A well known Model T guy reproduced the Riley Multi-lifts several years ago. I have a set but haven't installed them in anything yet. He only made them for a short time. Supposedly they work just as well as an OHV set up. I think most of the sets ended up on west coast cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 01:23 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/125787.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

Ron would you be willing to sell that set? I'd sure love to buy them. They would most definitely get installed on my speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

Hi Seth- I plan to use them on one of my speedster projects. If I do decide to sell, I will let you know. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

No problem! Never hurts to ask. Speaking of which, I'm very confident I could create my own set of these. Would you possibly give me measurements? If I just had one of these things in front of me I would just make my own set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

If I remember correctly, they had a nasty habit of coming loose/coming apart after running a bit. They needed to be checked frequently for tightness at the locking stud. Also the flippers need to be hardened properly, the originals were not and wore out quickly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

The particular set of multi lifts on this car were modified and the problem of coming apart was solved. The flippers were hardened. I know who built the motor in this car. It would run 60 MPH all day long and would wind up to unbelievable RPM's. Dual carbs adjusted simultaneously using a long brace drill bit as the adjuster. The builder was very good at fabrication and made the body using only hand tools. It was built about 11 years ago and was on many tours. Would be a good car for someone. Was a fun car to drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

Love to have a intake like that. It would spend it's time on my 26_27 rpu. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

If someone would just loan me a single one, I can get the measurements off of it and send it right back.

For the center stud I would think that having a lock washer, and then another nut behind that, and all of it assembled with some red loctite, wouldn't have any problems with coming loose or moving.

Having the flippers machined and then heat treated would be the worst part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

I have been within an arm's reach of a couple sets, years ago. But I have never looked at one closely.
These have been discussed on the forum before, and often for years earlier at club functions.
Apparently, there were more than one original run of these high lifters. They have been reproduced in small numbers by a few different people (I don't have any information on who made them, that was years ago).
For whatever it is worth, and whoever made them. They all seemed to have issues with hardening and materials choice. There were many sets that have been run and worked very well for many years and miles. There have been many more that either broke quickly (too hard), or wore out fast (too soft). I am NOT a materials expert. But these are a serious "Goldilocks" item. They HAVE to be "just right". Anyone wanting to make a set of these, needs much more than dimensions. If they are not one of the top .5 percent (that is HALF one percent) top metals experts in the country today? Better consult with someone that is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

Hmmm, might not be able to know for sure without some actual testing but I bet our own Les Schubert could get us in the ballpark in terms of a specific metal and hardness. I don't know where he falls in spectrum of metal experts though (lol just playing Les).

I'm a mechanical engineering student at UAH. I can model these babies in Solid Edge and work out the kinks in terms of dimensions. I could even run them in Patran/Nastran and get an idea of the stresses and loads involved, and it'll let me simulate different materials for the flippers.

Then it'll just be a matter of pricing out different materials, machining, and hardening.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration