Dirt daubers and valve cover

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Dirt daubers and valve cover
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Oneal Lee on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

How do you deal with dirt daubers getting behind valve cover through the throttle rod opening? I believe there has to be a way to keep them out. Since it hadn't run in awhile, they have built a large nest right up against the valve springs. Any suggestions? I'm thinking a small tube from the cover to the starter side.
Neal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 11:41 pm:

When I bought Barney, I found mud dauber nests inside the valve cover AND the intake manifold. Fortunately, they didn't do any damage, as I removed them before trying to start the engine. However, their nests can start rust on the springs, so keeping them out is a good idea. I'm thinking maybe some door screen material, two pieces, one on each side of the cover with two cotter pins holding them together, and a hole just big enough for the rod to go through. The tough part here is that the rod doesn't just go back and forth, but it moves a bit up and down or side to side. Now what to do about the other side? Hmm, maybe just a piece of screen on each side of the engine with two long cotter pins, or wire holding them against the cover & block. You just have to keep those suckers out of there, and they aren't really small insects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 11:41 pm:

Drive the car often so they don't have time to setup housekeeping! :-) You would need something bigger then a small tube, it's open to the drivers side plus the hole in the cover the rod passed thru.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 12:18 am:

Have you considered learning the ancestral mud dauber dance
to cast a protective spell over your things ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 12:54 am:

Put moth balls inside the valve chamber. the put cover back on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 08:12 am:

How about using an old piece of innertube? cut a patch big enough to cover the hole in the valve cover then use a leather punch to put a hole in the patch slide it onto the throttle rod. If you put it on the outside of the valve cover then adjust it so that when your throttle is closed the patch is in contact with the valve cover. to keep them from coming through from the driver's side maybe a Brillo pad jammed in the webbing might work. just my .02 worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 08:33 am:

Mark has the correct answer. I have or had a
23 touring. I figure I will take that to Napa
for suplies. Barn door open Ford gone. This goes on all year. As I type this, Its gone. Its my
youngest boy. And my oldest son has several A's
and if the T is gone one of the A's is gone??
Here is the question? This kid drives some kind
of rice burner with loud fart tubes that anoys
me one of those I'd run over with a dozer. back
to the post. Aint no mud douber make house with hot engines. Another rant, neighbor going on 80s
Model A 41chev 38 Plymouth a new 1971 Dodge 4x4, no children, and has heart attack if fly
or rain drops lands on them and he thinks im nuts cause my one only transportation is a 1946
Super Deluxe rain sleet snow it never failed me. Me and my Ford born same year, Ok going be
a big casket. So use the thing that what it was
made for..I'm not on line with those look but don't touch guys, those who do would be in shock what all cars went through in the 30's 40's. First thing I ever drove a 1933 Plymouth and my uncle cut the back off and made a picup.
My father bought that for 15 dollars that was in 1951 so me and 33 PD's are ?? then in high school a super mint 33 PD $125 Ugg try is now
sorry for ramblin but use your car......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 09:54 am:

Try stuffing steel wool in the hole, it might give just enough for the rod, yet be closed enough to keep the little buggers out. Mothballs sounds like a good idea too, but my luck would be one would decide to roll over the oil drain hole and stay there making a mess eventually.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 03:42 pm:

Just keep a roll of masking tape with you and when you park the car put some around each side where the rod goes through. If you forget to remove it, no problem, just check it again and add some when you park for the day.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration