My Engine had a miss, I shorted one plug. Knock Knock

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: My Engine had a miss, I shorted one plug. Knock Knock
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 01:34 am:

So I shut the engine down. A friend got tired of my 14 sitting in his garage so he decided to find out why it was missing. A wire had removed itself from the timer. He fixed that and then gave the crank a tug. "Something didn't feel right" he said. He decided to drop the crankshaft inspection cover and found this.

2 piece crank club

Between the center main and #3 cyl. Pure luck that I was sitting by the side of the road with the engine at idle and that the engine started knocking when I shorted a cyl and did not stop knocking when I removed the short.
I am so fortunate that John decided to do a "look see" when the engine didn't feel quite right when he pulled the engine over. By the way the unharmed block was cast on OCT 21 1913.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 01:42 am:

Just braze it up. You'll be good-to-go !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 01:46 am:

That's what John said after I ruled out his JB Weld suggestion. Burger if you will braze it up and use it in YOUR TT you can have the crank :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 08:00 am:

At last,a broken crank story with a happy ending!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 09:56 am:

Wow, this is sad. Two broken cranks posted here in a 24 hour time span. Sorry to hear this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 11:02 am:

A few hours drive to Redondo Beach and you can buy a brand new SCAT crank right from the company. I put one in my T and it is smoother than ever before.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 11:15 am:

With two within a couple of days, lets say this years quota is exceeded!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

Norm
A scat crank is going to be one of the upgrades to my 14.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 02:06 pm:

Having driven Bills '14 on several occasions, I can say it was a very nice car to drive. The engine was powerful with very little vibration, and very quiet when running. The babitt looks new and shiny so it seems like the engine was rebuilt at some point in the recent past.

What I felt when slowly turning the engine over was a very light force, followed by a soft "Bump" then heavier force as the broken crank shaft picked up the rear two cylinders.

My first impression, considering where the failure occurred, is that the center main likely pulled the crank shaft out of alignment with the front and rear mains, when tightened.

It could have been much worse had Bill not been on top of how it was running!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

Well, Bill, your misfortune has provided an important lesson for the rest of us: Don't ever short a plug while idling alongside the road. It could break your crank !

Seriously, Bill, I'm sorry to hear what the problem turned out to be.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

Dick, all I knew was that it didn't run well on two cylinders and complained about it.
When I turned the engine over after shutting it down, it did show light resistance that went away. My first thought was that it did not feel "right" for a bad rod.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration