Question on the 26-27 engine support straps....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Question on the 26-27 engine support straps....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 08:06 am:

The oiler seems to be right in the way of adding the support strap to the frame. How do I get around this and add a strap on this side? Thx in advance...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 08:26 am:

Mock up a custom strap out of cardboard - once you have a design that misses the oiler but still has enough strength and stiffness to do some good, duplicate the design in sheet metal. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 08:30 am:

Thanks Mark, the problem I see here is the strap will have to curve over and down to connect to the frame. I'm thinking it won't offer much support at all because of that...??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 08:39 am:

You'll have to make up for the poor load path by increasing the section height and/or adding one or more flanges to the edges (think L section or I beam) to give it additional stiffness. Hence the need to experiment with cardboard first. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 08:42 am:

I suppose I could weld a chunk of strap on the backside of the strap to give it a "T" shape...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 09:07 am:

There you go! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 10:05 am:

Well this is what I came up with... Just waiting for the paint to dry and I will be slapping it on..thx Mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 10:13 am:

Seems your casting got placed a bit high on the hogshead.

Here is the location I made for the casting on a '26-'27 cover.

Scribed spot with brace on to be sure of clearance.

Later Texas T (Birdhaven) put out this diagram for locating the casting, works ok too.

My guess put it about right, but did have to 'twist' a tiny bit of the strap to clear and prevent squeak at the casting edge.

You might try to make a new 'custom' strap with less angle bend length at the block bolt, i.e. make the right angle bend quicker there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 10:43 am:

Looks good, Don! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 10:59 am:

The strap on this one goes smack dab over the center of the casting and the brass connector. But at any rate the brace is on and good enough for this lumpy ole man...Thx Mark/Dan it is appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 11:52 am:

I would just use a longer nipple and a coupling to move the oil line over.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

Dan, I was going to suggest the same thing as Dan Trease: that the pick up casting was placed to high on the curve of the hogshead, I bought mine when Ben Hardeman still owned Texas T's and the part was developed. His son-in-law, Ross Lilleker, installed it. Everything fits and works, fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 11:21 am:

You might be able to alter the twist so that the the top part of the strap is vertical behind the oiler and the twist would be just below the oiler. Hard to tell from pictures, but you could get some strap from Home Depot or other supplier and experiment with it instead of altering the existing strap.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration