What are the correct bolts that bolt the splash apron to the fender?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What are the correct bolts that bolt the splash apron to the fender?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 02:54 pm:

What are the correct bolts that are used to bolt the rear of the splash apron to the front of the rear fender on my '24 Touring?

I'm talking about the ones just beneath the body. There are two little bolt holes there, and it attaches to a little bracket on the fender.

It's finally time to put my '24 Touring back together, and it's those holes have been empty ever since I got the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 03:04 pm:

On my unrestored '17 roadster they are similar to carriage bolts - square shank near the round head even though they go into a round hole in the fender and splash apron.

They are the same nuts and bolts that are used to mount the coil box on the wood firewall.

RV Anderson makes reproductions of the above. Don't know if the same bolt was used on rear the fenders in '24.

I bought replacement nuts and bolts from RV because I needed to remove the rear fenders which involved drilling the nuts and ruining the bolt threads because they were rusted stuck.

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on June 11, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

PS: if you are not a purist, you can use slotted machine screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 03:24 pm:

From a Larry Smith post in a 2014 thread:

"I believe you are referring to the splash shields. The splash apron is located beneath the radiator. Excluding the '26s, the rear fender to splash shield bolt is a round head slotted stove bolt, 1/4-20. This would be for the 23-25 models, and has a raven finish. The nut is a square nut, 1/2" across the flats, and it too is raven finished. The Ford Service book has a lot of photos showing this application."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

this discussion may help. (or not)
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/87325.html?1239286534

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

Most 1/4-20 square nuts you can buy today are 7/16 inch across the flats, you'll have to rummage through coffee cans of old nuts if you want to find some that are a full 1/2 inch across the flats. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

R.V. Anderson, if you make the correct round head slotted stove bolt, 1/4-20 and 1/2 inch across the flats square nut for this application, can you let us know? Thanks.

(Message edited by cudaman on June 11, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

I make the correct nut but not the bolt. At least not yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

Thanks, R.V. Can someone post a photograph of one of the original bolt and nut? Thanks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

The bolt you are referring to is a standard stove bolt, the size that Mark Strange described. I don't believe the length to be over 5/8".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 07:07 am:

Larry, the stove bolt you describe sounds just like what we call a gutter bolt. These have threads right up to the head, and can be used to bolt sheetmetal together. In my experience, these were used in this application on our Canadian source cars. Good luck finding plain slotted heads rather than combination Phillips/slotted heads these days.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 11:19 am:

I did some checking this morning, and the bolt you need is a 1/4-20 X 5/8 RH slotted bolt. It uses a square nut, 1/2" across the flats and a lock washer. They are getting hard to find, but Randall Anderson is making them. They are also raven finished as original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 11:26 am:

Thanks Larry! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

OK all; these are now available. PM me.

rvmodeltATnetsyncDOTnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, July 14, 2017 - 07:39 am:

R.V.,

Could you post a photo of them.

Thank You,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

Bolts and lock washers are raven finish. Nuts are plain steel for now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, July 17, 2017 - 09:27 am:

Eastwood makes a raven finish kit. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't! I think it is called a black oxide kit. BTW Randall, those nuts look nice. Thanks for doing this. I bought two or three dozen NOS raven finish nuts from Bob Bergstadt Sr. when he was still with us. I'm sure glad I did. When I restored my '25 pickup, I used them everywhere. Here is another question perhaps for Trent Boggess: The early cars use square nuts that are 7/16 across the flats. I wonder why Ford went to 1/2? It seems to me this is going against Fords philosophy!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration