Fender brackets rivets or bolts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Fender brackets rivets or bolts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 05:35 pm:

I still have a hard time understanding why a new fender that costs almost $500 doesn't include the mounting brackets. Anyway, anybody use carriage bolts instead of rivets to attach the brackets?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

I did. It was for my hack so not "pure T." Tried to use rivets but too much of a pain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thompson, Sudbury MA on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

I have used button head hex socket screws, much easier and they filled good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Think five hundred bucks is bad for a fender? If they had to make those brackets, l doubt if they could repop that bracket properly for that.
The brass era brackets are less complex.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

Bill, did you fill the hex sockets with body filler ,JB Weld, or what?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 07:01 am:

We have relatively flat but rounded heads on what are known as gutter bolts. These are threaded all the way up to the head, so can be used to bolt sheet metal together. 1/4" ones have the correct size head to march rivet sizes. The combination Phillips/slot head is easy to fill with your product of choice.
On front fenders the two top holes are easily riveted. The ones on the sides are more difficult to get a buck onto, and bolting those is easier.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 10:18 am:

I just suffered though a pair of rear fenders on my '25 RPU. The new fenders from Rootlieb are very well made, nice parts. Yes, the inner bracket needs to be drilled off the old fenders and riveted on. I had some left over rivets from my pick up bed project, they seem to be the right size, 1/4 shank x 1/2 length, with a truss head about 1/2 inch diameter. My aircraft rivet gun did not have a flat enough punch, had to grind/modify that. If I had known I might have bought the correct punch. Some creativity needed to get a good bucking bar behind the rivets, but after half a day of sweat and toil, came out great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 10:42 am:

Actually, after some thought, I might weld them on. A few good tacks will hold it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

Tommy, NO!!! The fenders flex too much for welds to work, you need the slight flexibility of the rivet or bolt. Plus, the brackets are much heavier than the fender (thickness of metal) so you're more likely to burn a hole in the fender than anything else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 03:23 pm:

That makes sense. I won't weld them. I might leave the two top ones out and not drill the holes though. They go right through the ridges in the fenders and I don't know how a carriage bolt will look there. I'm afraid they might distort the fender.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration