Replacing wire wheels with wooden spokes. Do I need anything special?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Replacing wire wheels with wooden spokes. Do I need anything special?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

if I elect to keep the 24 tt, it currently has t wires and adapters on the front, which my understanding is a t front end. I would elect to replace the front wires with 21 inch wood spoke demountables with split rims and make the wires available to someone else.
I've not dealt with wire wheels before. can I presume the same wheel bearing and spindle is used for either type wheel? or, while I am shoping for wood spoke wheels, do I need to acquire anything else to put the woodies on?

thanks in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

You say it has "adaptors". The hubs are interchangeable on the spindle for the 21" wood wheels and the wire spokes, however the hubs have 6 holes for bolts to hold the wood spoke wheels and they have 5 lugs to fit the wire spoke wheels. There are "adaptors" made to fit the wire wheels on the wood spoke hubs. So it depends on which hubs you actually have on the car. If you have the wire spoke hubs on the car, your hubs are worth much more than the wood spoke hubs, and not as plentiful, so you can find the hubs you need and also sell yours along with the wheels for probably $300.

I said a lot and maybe was not clear. There is a difference between wire spoke hubs and wood spoke hubs with adaptors. If you have the wood spoke hubs with adaptors, all you need to do is remove the adaptors and you can use the wood spoke hubs. There is also a plate which goes on the outside of the wheel with 6 holes for bolts and one large hole for the hub.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

Robert,the front hubs are integral with wood wheels.What you call adapters are wire wheel hubs.Spindles,bearings the same.
Maybe someone will offer to trade you a good pair of wood wheels toward you wires and hubs. Wires are more valuable and sought after.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

Also what Norman says.l type real slow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

Robert,
If the fronts are T wires, there's nothing wrong with having them, but if you want wood spoke wheels, the hubs are part of the wheel with wood spokes. The wire wheels have a separate hub, and they're a bit pricey.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration