Broken throttle shaft on column, how to fix?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Broken throttle shaft on column, how to fix?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

As I was driving back from a very smooth 25 mile run to town and ice cream I had a mishap. On a flat about 2 miles from home I opened the throttle up all the way, when I quickly pushed it all the way open pushed too hard. Snap! Pull over. The throttle shaft that runs down the steering column is snapped in half! Must have had an old fracture in there for some time to snap so easily. It's above where the pin for the control arm is, and about 6 inches below where it disappears into the column/firewall. How do I fix this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

Matthew, you could simply braze the rod back together.
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

possibly, I wouldn't trust myself to do it so would want a skilled smith to do it. I'm guessign replacign the rod is a real pain?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

An appropriate shaft coupler might work well, if you can pull apart the pieces to slip one on. With set screws on each end, makes for a good fix.

https://www.zoro.com/dayton-coupling-rigid-steel-6l015/i/G1612116/?gclid=CjwKEAj w1PPJBRDq9dGHivbXmhcSJAATZd_BO47C3XRvM3qx9-foed1nQN4AkhniKYe6bBdblR5CeRoCopzw_wc B

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Kahle on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 11:08 pm:

Matt, I would clean the broken shaft so clean you could eat off of it, drill a bushing out of 3/8" cold rolled steel rod (about 1 1/2" long and silver solder it over the break. Remember the flux! Should be strong as new. Silver solder requires less heat and is easier to handle than brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 12:06 am:

Matthew, brazing is fairly easy. Heat the rod with the torch until it barely turns red then melt on the brass. I've brazed them together before and it works well. Replacing the rod requires the complete disasembly of the steering column which can be a real pain.
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 02:10 am:

I think Dave has the best idea for an on-the-column repair. The sleeve will keep everything in alignment too. The lower temperature lessens the chance of overheating something nearby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 04:02 am:

An easy fix would be to use two wire-cable clamps (like tiny exhaust U-bolt clamps) and a short length of split or cut tubing round the shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vieux Carre on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 07:46 am:

Matthew, If you are not going to weld it together using whatever means yourself, then let the smith decide what is best after they examine it.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 08:14 am:

Thanks guys. I'm going to call up my local mechanic this morning. His welding guy Nate is actually my neighbor. I'll have him take a look at it and see if he can fix it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 11:10 am:

The parts vendors have new or used rods. it isn't hard to replace. Take off the steering wheel, take out the pin where the throttle lever is attached and take out the pin where the spring is holding it at the bottom of the column. With an open car, you can pull the rod right out and push in the replacement. Then install the pins. New ones would be best. And re-install the steering wheel. Not sure whether you have enough room inside a closed car to do this. You might need to lower the steering column or remove it.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

My mechanic made quick work of it this morning with a welder. Good to go again! Looks like something was binding up and caused the break.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

Uh, Norman, how do you get the rod past the steering gear case??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 02:20 pm:

??? a rod really has no twist for the carb or timer How?? guess the night gremlims with vise grips

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

The bottom end of the rod could have been rusted in the lower bracket, so when you move the lever, you twist the rod, which will eventually break.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

Two rivets to remove. And then replace after ward.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

Also remove pitman arm to get the shaft to move out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vieux Carre on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

David,
Our rods are rusted exactly where you are talking about; haven't restored the column yet.
Congrats to you Matthew.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

Vieux,
Put some penetrating oil on them, and you can lightly tap the ends (not directly with the hammer or you'll swedge the ends, put something between, punch or a flat piece of metal) to loosen them up. The rod actually rotates and moves a bit up and down in that bracket (that's how the levers "click" from groove to groove on the column end), so it's important for it to not bind there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

I'm going out and putting a drop of oil on Betsy's rods right now! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration