Carb and ignition questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Carb and ignition questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

I have begun planning certain mechanical facets of the imminent speedster build. A few things that I currently have in-limbo are the fuel and ignition systems, specifically the carb/manifold setup.

I was initially planning to go with an E-timer, but the $400 price tag was a bit of a shock (although it appears to be very well engineered). Would I be able to locate an auto advance distributor or magneto that will not interfere with the generator? I have located a few good used DU4's, but it appears as though I need to remove the generator to use one.

In the way of fuel, the engine currently has what appears to be a Model A carb and manifold. What would be a good manifold and carb combo to use with an upgraded cam (unsure on the grind), higher compression head, free-flowing exhaust, and the aforementioned ignition system?

I plan on running a gas pedal on the floor and doing away with the column spark and fuel levers- that is why I want an auto-advance system. I plan on rebuilding and installing a Warford, so I'll need to be able to rev-match with a hand on the wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 07:41 pm:

Bump.
Bueller? Bueller?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

James
If the $400.00 for the E timer is too much, a side drive or X drive mag is going to give you cardiac arrest!!!
One of the few good choices for automatic advance
The model A intake has been used for many years on the T block. Cheap and reliable. Doesn't really look right, but the price as you already own it would be hard to argue with

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

Les, the more I look, the more I see that any option besides the E-timer with auto advance is as much as twice the cost. Maybe I will go with the e-timer.
James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 10:48 pm:

With the E-timer you will still need the spark lever. You start the engine fully retarded, then fully advance the lever for the auto advance to work. As far as the throttle goes, I never use my foot feed to shift the Warford. I reach through the steering wheel with my left hand, holding the spider with my arm over the column, and operate the throttle lever. I think it's easier that way, and was probably the accepted method back in the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

It is my understanding (from the creator himself) that the E-timer has an auto-advance setting that fully retards spark when starting.

I've heard about this method of shifting a Warford, but would rather not do it like that. Clayton has a foot feed on his and I am much more comfortable with one. I know it is frowned upon, but my comfort equals my passenger's safety.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

The E-timer does indeed have an auto advance setting, but you still have to start it fully retarded. After the engine turns 250 revolutions, it goes into auto mode. In that amount of time you need to fully advance the lever.

Here is a link to the operating instructions. Scroll down to number 3:

http://www.modeltetimer.com/uploads/E-Timer_Instructions_V14.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 07:33 am:

James, Dennis is correct about E-Timer operation; standard Model T starting procedure must be observed. The operator is responsible for fully retarding the spark lever (to the 15 degrees After TDC) when starting the engine. After the engine starts, the operator is responsible for advancing the spark lever nearly to full advance (approximately 55 degrees before TDC) and leaving it there when the engine is running. The E-Timer Automatic Timing Advance (ATA) mode will monitor engine RPM and adjust ignition timing as necessary while the engine is running for optimal performance. The process must be repeated when the engine is shut off or stalls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 08:30 am:

An ignition system is not the best place to try to save money on a Model T, if you want top performance.

You can go with about 4 different new ignitions systems that are currently available for sale.

4 new coils and a new timer, A Texas T VW distributor kit, a TrueFire coil box and Timer, or the E-Timer.

The E-Timer is the most modern engineered device and it also produces the best bang for your buck, as each one of those systems are competitively priced at around $400.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 08:51 am:

Can a texas T distributor kit run automatic advance?
James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 09:41 am:

Out of curisoity why do you want an automatic advance? I am guessing your engine will be a relativly stock flat head in which case it may be very useful to be able to retard a little when climbing. I'm starting a speedster bild omy own as I came across a pile of parts I just couldn't break up. I will be increasing performance a bit but most importantly I will be putting in a warford, most of the plans are figured out in my head so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Here is my rough sketch right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 11:54 am:

Chad
Over the years I have encountered quite a few T owners that don't have a "intuitive feel " for when the ignition advance is set correctly. That is just how it is. If the hobby can offer them a way to enjoy the T experience, then that is fantastic for the hobbies future.
In my opinion, this feature alone, makes the E timer a truly great addition to the T hobby.
We need to be thinking about the future of the T experience

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

I'm trying to find something with automatic advance for one primary reason:
I am hoping to use a foot fed throttle to make driving the Warford a little bit easier. Adjusting the spark doesn't bother me, but it would be nice to not have to worry about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

James, I've read the posts above and think if you drove my T with an original Warford a just couple of times with the spark and throttle levers you might be rethinking what you want.

The T driving experience is unique to the spark and gas levers at the wheel. When you are at a stop light or a gas station car show people are wowed about the fact that the controls at the wheel!
You will Love the Etimer but Yes you need to retard the spark for starting then it's the most perfect auto advance system available. Some guys have installed a foot feed accessory but it isn't a requirement for Warford shifting. The lever is needed when you want to hold open the throttle when cranking and I don't know if a foot pedal would do that.
In any case you will love the Warford and an etimer... Good luck what ever you choose but don't be in a hurry cause you can always add and change later as you like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

Having owned a original Warford, they are not the "friendliest " thing to shift, so a foot throttle (in addition to the stock hand throttle for starting etc as Gene points out) is worth considering.
IF it is the new Layne Warford (which I hear are quite easy to shift) , then perhaps not as useful
I have era foot throttles added to all my T's. Really handy having the choice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

I can't speak for an e-timer as most T's Ive been around have had the magneto removed. As far as the warford, my speedster had an original and I logged thousands of miles on it. That OD is quite tall and Im thinking that the new warfords don't have as tall of an OD. Basically I drove in direct and could shift in and out of OD after a fair bit of practice. Forget shifting into UD though, better to just stop and shift it. I am guessing that the new warfords don't have the same ratios.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

My warford is an original type with the support brace (supposedly heavy duty or something like that).

Is this distributor an automatic advance?
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/311889983551?_trksid=p2045573.m570.l6345&_trkparms=gh1g% 3DI311889983551.N101.S1.R1.TR2&autorefresh=true

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration