OT sorta. But involves one TT part

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT sorta. But involves one TT part
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

I got the chance to rummage through a small junk yard or
What was left of it there was a few small pieces I grabbed up
One of which was the end cap on a TT rearend I guess I was
A few years too late on the rest of it.
I'm posting my Flickr link because I think you guys will get a kick out of Iding this little car that lays on its roof it is belt driven like a snomobile with variable pulleys and has a two
Cyl. Opposed eng.like a V W .
The next one is a generator truck it has a lycoming motor
The gen. And power plant are gone but it looks like it was a high end truck have fun. Jim http://www.flickr.com/photos/fordtt/
Junkyard  gems

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 05:41 am:

Cool really old junk yard :-)
Hard to tell from the photos, but the description of the small car fits the Dutch brand DAF. They made air cooled opposed twins with a variomatic drive from 1959-76: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAF_Trucks#Car_business

My father had the unfortunate experience of owning a new 1975 "66" model with the upgraded engine, a water cooled Renault four. (My advice against at age 10 wasn't listened to..)
The poor little car screamed at constant high rpms during acceleration and had a significant design flaw - no shielding at the drive belts, so at severe rainfall when pools of water splashed up at the belts, they started to slip. Once the car came to a full halt, we had to wait by the roadside until the rain stopped. .
The worst part was that my parents fell for the salesman's talk when they finally had enough of it and wanted to trade it in - they bought the follow up model designed by the same DAF team, now bought by Volvo and called Volvo 343.. (not one of Volvo's best moments..)
At least it had a shield so it went through rain, but there were other issues with that ugly contraption..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 07:18 am:

Thanks Rodger I had never seen a car like that and it was
Lying on its roof in a hole so there were no tags visible
I guess it was a flop like the yugo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 08:24 am:

They're good at one thing - reverse racing :-)
The variomatic drive is just as fast rearwards, but steering when in reverse mode makes it a really crazy challenge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoh8i0jfpTo

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration