Cool piece of history

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Cool piece of history
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

Saw this engine today on display at Talladega speedway . First overhead cam Ford V8 , 1937

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 01:42 am:

Cool, but I wonder what's Ford in that engine?
(If I had guessed, I would have thought WW1 era aircraft?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 01:58 am:

Roger, I thought the same thing. At first glance I thought I was looking at a slightly skinnier Hisso.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 02:32 am:

I suppose, IF you cut the valve galley off a V-8 block, it could be made to look something like that.
Otherwise I would say it was not standard Ford V8, and something totally experimental, possibly aviation. However, I certainly am NOT an expert in either this area, or era.
The other thing that catches my eye, is that the carburetors appear to be side-draft. Unless height was a serious concern (depending upon the planned application for this engine), I would expect downdraft carburetors would have been the preferred choice by '37.
Although out of my main interest era, it is quite interesting. Thank you Kim D for sharing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 08:17 am:

I didn't get much time to look at it, just to much to see there but I wondered the the same thing about the lack of visible Ford parts. Had a nice visit with Dan Hatch and Gator and Paula Gould on the trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 09:13 am:

Was it built for Indy?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 09:51 am:

Any other pictures of this engine? Would really help to know name cast into cam covers.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 10:13 am:

Pretty sure this is the engine: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/gene-van-arx%C2%92s-riley-ohv-v8-questions.640368/

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 11:00 am:

Thanks for the link, Howard, interesting story. It's a pity so few were made..

rth

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration