1923 TOURING REAR DOOR HINGES

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1923 TOURING REAR DOOR HINGES
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 01:50 am:

I am putting my 1923 Touring together with various parts. Some came with the car, other I have found along the way. Today I was trying to fit the Left rear door. Not a good fit. NOW MY QUESTION: Does it make any difference which side of the hinge attaches to the door? Also I have seen pictures of hinges on this site that have 2 holes in each corner and some that only have 1 hole in each corner. Most of the holes do not line up with the holes in the steel pillar. Door wood is rotten, so I will fix that later. Just trying to do a fit check. Any pictures of the hinges for a 1923 Touring would be helpful.

Thank you, Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 12:33 am:

Here is a photo of the right rear hinge on my 23. I think that all of the open car hinges of that era are the same. The 25 is different in that the top is the same length as the bottom, causing the door to go down at an angle when open. Hope this helps.

hinge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 01:11 am:

Very helpful, Thank you-Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 06:52 am:

Paul,

See also the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/114100.html it shows the 1914-1924 hinge as well as the style used for 1925 (and additional research needed to determine when it was introduced and how much overlap when both style hinges were used etc. The same part number is listed 1914-1924 as 5297X and then a second part number 20022X for 1924-1925 which is the equal length hinge.

And the hinges fit either way -- and on all 3 doors (4 doors if Canada or England).

Was the body rewooded? When that is done, it is best to trial fit the doors and metal parts before final screws and last cuts/fitting is done. Over the years the bodies sag, flex etc. And the doors can also do that.

Is your problem that the door is too large for the opening?

Or is your problem the door fits the opening but the opening is too large and there is a large gap?

Or is your problem the door fits the opening but the door is not the same shape as the body.

Or is it something else or some combination of those?

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 10:12 am:

Here is what is going on. I am completing the rewooding on the LH side and I decided to see if the door would fit, I have not re-wooded the doors yet. It looks like the rear sheet metal was just ripped off the car, so that area that fastens to the steel pillar is twisted and bent. What I think needs to be done (today) is to line up the holes in the rear sheet metal with the holes in the steel pillar, then. locate the hinges and the wood nailing strip, then temporarily bolt the hinges to the pillar. I am using the plans that I purchased from Leon Parker. They seem to be very good, but can not stress that accuracy when drilling and cutting the wood is the most important part of this task.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

MORE PROGRESS:
I was able to line up the holes in the hinge with the holes in the pillar (with the rear sheet metal in between) and bolted the hinge in place. I know that the top of the rear door should be in a straight line with the top of the sheet metal forward of the door. I am close. NOW, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW MUCH HIGHER (ABOVE) IS THE WOOD PIECE THAT RUNS ON TOP OF THE REAR SHEET METAL? It looks to be about an inch or so.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration