Horn question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Horn question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hugh Allen Harris on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 02:52 pm:

I have a delco-remy-6 volt horn. This is probably not the site to ask this question ( I'm told these horns were used on Chevy's ), but I want the horn to work anyway! It barely chirps when engaged. There's no prolonged sound. How do I fix it! I can't find any repair instructions on line.

Hugh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

Model T horns are simply BUZZERs in that they have a brass slug the slams into the center of a flat diaphragm and an interrupter set of points that apply power to drive the brass slug into the diaphragm via an electric solenoid. Model A horns and some other types of Klaxon horns have motors in them that actually spin and apply that power through a sort of gear to the diaphragm and make the "ahooga" sound. Those are more complicated. Thus you might have better luck asking your question on a Model A forum such as www.ahooga.com

I make the Model T repro horn but it doesn't help you for what you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hugh Allen Harris on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 02:46 pm:

I cannot get my horn to work, but really wish to use this horn on my 1917. One possibility for repair did not pan out. I'm told that there is a man, usually at Hershey, who goes by "Horn Guy"(?). Does anyone have contact information for him?

Hugh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

From a 2010 thread:

"see Bill Randall "the horn man " at hershey, he is in the chocolate field, look him up when you get there."

Doing a Google search on his name, I found:

The Horn Shop
7129 Rome-Oriskany Road
Rome, New York 13440

Bill does not have a website or e-mail you need to call him and send in your horn.

Bill Randall 315-336-8841

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hugh Allen Harris on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

Thanks, Mark
Hugh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

I think a 17 would have a magneto driven horn that is different from a standard 6 volt. I don't believe they can be bench tested the same way a standard 6 volt horn is tested.???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

This question is not about a Model T horn, he is asking about a Delco horn.

Take the back cover off, might just need to be lubed and the armature cleaned. If it's the later dome shaped rear cover, maybe the condenser has gone south.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

if you dont find any one else you can call me at hornsrus. 417394 2788. charles

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration