"Continuity of Ownership" and the DMV

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: "Continuity of Ownership" and the DMV
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

Went to register the Coupe today. Apparently the bill of sale from the old guy to some rocco guy, rocco to Robert, then robert to me, 50 years worth of bills of sales, doesn't cut it. No title or registration because the old WWII vet when he restored it in the 50's just ran local parades and shows. I now have to go bother the guy I got it off of and have to have him fill out a form saying "yes I bought this car, no I never registered it." Just to get a non transferable registration. I swear the DMV has more red tape than Congress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

Just be glad it is do-able where you live. In NC you would probably be out of luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

Can't they cut us some slack if we are just custodians, not owners?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

The old guy never registered it, the kid he sold it to did and I have that Connecticut registration form, the guy he sold it to owned it 8 years but never registered it which is where they have a bug in their bonnet. I have bills of sales for all these transfers as well. Apparently they want the last guy to fill out forms saying he never registered it but bought it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 04:03 pm:

Too much info given to the DMV. Should have just taken the bill of sale from the guy you bought it from and and filled out the MV-82, taken it to the DMV and not said another word other than I bought this and want to register it, and you should have been alright.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 04:36 pm:

...and some here seem to want MORE red tape just to be sure some hotrodder can't have a slip of paper with the words "Model T" on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

The business model for any state DMV Department, not just here in California, but in any State, has its roots with the KGB !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Here in California, it's costing me about $100 now to register car that used to be about $20 several years ago, thanks to the liberal governor we have, oh did I mention gas prices?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

Matthew
Like others who have had similar issues with the DMV I used a bonded title service that deals with antique and classic cars.

Unfortunately some of the folks who work at the DMV's in some states aren't really qualified to work there. And when it comes to antique cars they begin to have a blank stare. They can't comprehend anything older than 10 to 15 years old.

A bonded title service will save you from all the headaches and nightmares when having to deal with no titles and no bills of sale.

Bonded title services know what NOT to ask and say and will get your title work done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 07:06 pm:

My state doesn't care about true antique cars but the hot rod guys are dropping 350s and 440s into hand-made frames and calling them "Model Ts" and they are screwing the rest of us.

If folks want to skirt the laws that's their business- but screwing rest of us sucks. I can't blame the state to crack down on scammers to avoid paying what's due. Just my 2 cents worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

My Model A registration is due--$184!!! Granted, it does have personalized plates, but $184 for one year! A car that I very seldom drive too--but I just got it off Non-op after a somewhat painful process, so I guess I'll just pay it. I'm hoping his is the new price since the Legislature decided to raise the fees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

Larry, I say if it's Brown flush it down!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 07:41 pm:

Jay, Thats what we said about his father also. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

I can't believe that the people of California voted Brown back into the Governorship twice more after the mess he made the first two times. But it just gets worse looking ahead to 2018 and the options on who will be the next Governor. Here in the Central Valley near Fresno with all the DMV fees for standard plates, year 2018 will cost over $150. for a car with a value of $1. the lowest amount it gets !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

I don't see what you guys are griping about. Yes, we have been paying a road repair gas tax for years. Now there's a new additional gas tax for road repairs. Next, we'll be paying a per mile tax for road repairs, in addition to the gas tax and the gas tax. Now, as to vehicle registration, ........

Oh, I see what you mean......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

People get what they vote for. California has a 60 year history
now of snowflake politics and apparently it has not got bad enough
to wake up any sort of opposition and boot The Left out. I would
love to move "back home" (we left in 1966), but in spite of the beautiful
state, the governing body is a flat-out madhouse of liberal lunacy !

I had a proper 1926 truck plate restored and took it to the Dept. 'o
Licensing with a photo of the truck. They were very interested in knowing
the weight of the truck for assessment rate. We found it online and
they issued me a bonded title against the restored plates. Total cost
was $35 for the one-time registration. I do not have to ever get tags
or anything else again. They had little interest in the fact that the truck
came from out of state. They looked that up and saw that it came from
a registration-only state. It was as simple as that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

Burger, we'd love to get rid of those folks, but "We" are the rural folks, and we are outnumbered by LA and SF folks. Used to be we had a state senate elected with two reps per county, gave us rural folks a little more say, but then the US Supreme court ruled, "One man, one vote" in complete violation of our state's rights, so now we'd like to split the state, but the legislature has to approve it--catch 22!!!
Sorry to get political here. Kevin, I think that's why my model A is $184 (it's for 2018), the extra is the personalized plate.
Citizen, Bend over, . . . (note, no "Please"!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 01:01 am:

I had a very reasonable experience titling my TT. Took bill of sale, form signed by seller stating he lost the title and had not been operating truck on the public roads, and pictures of my engine block number and the vehicle. DMV agent never blinked an eye, and I received my title in the mail a few weeks later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 01:47 am:

You must live a charmed life---That doesn't follow DMV procedure at all--licensed verifier must see the VIN number eyes-on. But, hey, you got the title, all is good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 01:55 am:

It took $1590.00 to get a license Plate for the Speedster that I bought from Chuck in Colorado. They call it a use tax

After a month of hassle and $129.00 I also have a plate on the Speedster that I built.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 07:47 am:

I guess I got lucky. When I bought my 24, 3 months ago I got a title with it. Registration in Wisconsin was 5 dollars. Still haven't gotten my plate yet but its coming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 09:14 am:

In N.J. they'll charge a tax based on the sale price written on the title. If you have a title that is. If there's one thing that seems to be prevalent in all DMV's it's giving too much information. Go in there with your bill of sale, some photo's (front, rear, both sides) and your tongue glued to the roof of your mouth. One other thing about N.J. : not all DMV offices handle collector cars. My local one doesn't and I had to go to an office in another town. Amazingly they weren't fazed at all by the car and I had no problem. My local office was totally at sea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 10:15 am:

When I get a project I have the title transferred to me then sign a non-use waiver (basically it says I will not take the vehicle on public roads) then when I get it ready registration is an easy process. It would have to be a very special car for me to buy one without a title in Florida. I have been the route where someone told me it would be easy to get a title (I was 16) it wasn't...lucky for me Dad was a State Trooper and helped me straighten it out, never again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 10:28 am:

The basic level of difficulty or ease is set by your legislature. There are over fifty variations (don't forget DC, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Guam, etc.). Within those variations are the different DMV offices to complicate things. And within each of those offices are different people, with attitudes ranging from helpful to obstructionist. In a difficult state a helpful person can keep the hassle to a minimum, and in an easy state the wrong person can spoil your day. I had to get a new pink slip (California title) for my Packard and was dreading my visit to the DMV. At the San Pedro office I lucked out and dealt with just the right person. The young lady had me out of there in a few minutes and I soon received my new pink slip in the mail. I agree that it's a good general rule to never volunteer any information beyond what is asked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 11:02 am:

We call that last comment "On a need-to-know basis". Only tell those
that NEED TO KNOW what they NEED TO KNOW, and NOTHING more !

Good to get to know your licensing people and develop a rapport. Seek
out those that like old cars, or are problem solvers. The ones that look
specifically for snags and regulations are to be avoided.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 11:50 am:

David Dewey: I have my renewal tags and my Depot Hack with plate(MYTHACK) costs$136.00 and my 1919 Touring with YOM plates is $95.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

Bill, I will have to get out my bill and see what it says, I just assumed that I'm paying the new rate since the registration goes halfway into 2018

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

Another reason I'm happy to be out of California. My antiques, YOM or not, cost me $17 a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

Steve, You should register it next door in Missouri.
I registered my 28 pickup for I think $25 and the registration is for ever.
I had to tell the safety inspection guys to slow down. They got all excited and wanted to take it apart.
I don't think that the safety part of the inspection was required. They were only required to verify the VIN.
I now live in Arizona and am tempted to leave it registered in Missouri.

My 25 pickup story is even better. The ADOT lady asked what it cost new and I happened to have the bill of sale when new with me
so it was taxed based on that value.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 02:54 pm:

In Missouri, you can also request that a local police officer come and validate the VIN.

That's what I did in Hillsboro - I called the office and requested a VIN verification. They sent an officer over, I showed him the number on the engine, he called it in to make sure that the car wasn't reported stolen somewhere, and signed off the form that I had printed off of the state department of revenue website. Totally painless! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 04:24 pm:

Bill Dugger, you are lucky that you live in Redding but in the San Joaquin Valley from around Modesto to Bakersfield there is a extra DMV charge due to the what the government calls nonattainment, dust particles exceed government standards. A recent study showed that all driving, tractor work, and freight railroad movement, would have to be outlawed to meet the government standard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 05:08 pm:

WOW!!!! Sounds like califunny is a great place to stay away from. Sounds like they are TAKING CARE OF PEOPLE. Glad I live in a fly over state. My 05 chevy truck plate is $70, my T with historic plate is $80. 41 chevy with historic plate is $70. Go figure? Not complaining! Indiana requires a VIN check for vehicles from out of state to register them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

Hmm, got my bill out, the Model a is actually only $130, $80 registration, $1 license fee, $43 "Special plate fee," County district taxes, $6.
My '25 with YOM plates is $93, Registration $70, License fee $7, YOM plate fee $10, county fee, $6.
I have no idea what the county fee is, nor can I explain why the registration fees are different, maybe the extra $10 is the new rate, and why the difference in the License fee? The big question is, once I've paid for the personalized plate, why should it cost more to use it? And if so, why not just $10 like the YOM fee?
Bend over, now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

David Dewey, Fees just keeping worse at the California DMV. I had a 1960's car that I wanted to put the new retro Ca. black plates on with just a standard number, not personalized, and was willing to pay the one time fee of $50. Then I found out that those black plates are considered, special plates, and there is a extra $40 fee every year, even if the car is non-opted. Paying $40 every year for a car that was not registered just for a license plate is crazy. I have since sold that 60's car and got a nice older restored 1926 Model T coupe and just put standard Ca. license plates on it to keep the fees as low as I can, which is around $100 for 2017-18 not counting used tax. Cars renewed after Jan 1, 2018 will be more, making this 26 T renewal next year $150 or more.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration