Windshield hinges

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Windshield hinges
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

I just learned from another conversation that the windshield, or at least the hinges were on backwards on my '21 Touring. My windshield top half folded forward, not back. I am fixing that. My car had new, never painted hinges on it. The bolts were in backwards too, with the castle nut on the inside. I now have the hinges off the car , disassembled and ready for paint. After painted, do you recommend some form of lubrication where the two parts rotate together? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 07:09 am:

Tommy,

I'm not sure if the later mid 1917-1922 windshield hinges could have as many wrong combinations, but the 1915-mid 1917 hinges could be taken apart, mixed together, and assembled incorrectly. See: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/525076.html for a discussion of that.

I do NOT know for sure if the hinge should or should not be lubricated. I will let someone else that knows more about that give the answer to that one. I would think but I do not know that a little grease would help keep the paint from being scrapped and would therefore keep the hinge from eventually rusting. But that is a GUESS -- not a known fact. But would that cause it to fold when you are going fast?

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

I have a 21 Touring that I restored and I cleaned up and painted the windshield hinges. I used a light coat of wheel bearing grease for llubrication.
It just seemed that there should be some type of lube used. After all the hinges are moving parts. Just common sense in my estimation.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration