OT: Gilkie tent trailers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT: Gilkie tent trailers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linus Tremaine on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 12:49 am:

Hi all,
I recently bought a 1935 Gilkie tent trailer. I am starting a registry for Gilkie owners. I know some of the members here have owned gilkies and perhaps some still do. If anyone still has one, please send me your serial number so I can add it to the database.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 06:44 am:

My brother just restored one, he is not online but I will get the info and relay if that's ok..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 08:48 am:

My brother has a early tent trailer he picked up some were . Or what's left of it . If you can sent me a picture of one and I will compare the too .wpgoble@hotmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 09:10 am:

Ok just talked to my brother his Gilkie is a 1934 Delux but he has not found any serial number on it and he looked all during the restoration. Linus do you know where they would have put a number on the trailer itself ? Also if no number found can the registry assign a number to it ? Thx in advance...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Don, It should be stamped on the frame under the rear door.....
Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linus Tremaine on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 10:24 am:

Don,
Steve is correct. Though its not really the frame of the trailer so much as the lower edge of the body. Mine is stamped right below the door.

the serial numbers I have seen are five digits. the first two should be the year and the last three are the number in sequence of the yearly run of production. So 35094 would be the 94th trailer built in 1935. I am pretty sure thats how it works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linus Tremaine on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 10:26 am:

Here is a picture for Perry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linus Tremaine on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 10:39 am:

Serial number-
The rubber above is the bottom door seal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 10:40 am:

This Gilkie doesn't have a rear door. Its door is on the front over the tongue. He also has a framed screened in patio setup that he has no idea how it goes together. It is original to the trailer but needs to be restored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linus Tremaine on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 10:59 am:

Don,
Mine is the same arrangement. Its right under the door above the tongue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 11:00 am:

I will have him look, thanks !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linus Tremaine on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 11:09 am:

don, what is your email address? I can try to email you a scan of the brochure that includes the extension tent and bobbinette enclosure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

Pm sent to you Linus..thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linus Tremaine on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

Still hunting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Rodell, Jr. on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

I have a late 20's model with 21" wood wheels and demountable rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

Don't know if this is a Gilkie.

I took these in 2014 during the set up of a car display in which I was involved that was part of a charity ball for Gillette's Children's Hospital. It was held in one of 3M's huge airplane hangers at Holman Field in St. Paul.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linus Tremaine on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 11:57 am:

Erik,
I dont think that is a gilkie, but I sure like it. Thanks for the picture.

James,
Do you have the serial number handy for your trailer?

:L

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linus Tremaine on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

A bit OT, but last night saw an ad on TV for trailers--"Vintage" trailers, modern trailers that look like the ones from the '50s! Apparently there's a big market for "Retro" Trailers.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration