1924 touring top

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1924 touring top
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 08:21 am:

i will be ordering the top kit soon for my 24
touring. the roll up rear window is a fairly expensive option this is my first t and i wonder
if i will like the roll up or not care seems there will be plenty of air either way. any advice
would be great. thanks philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 09:12 am:

Have a roll up top on the '27 touring. Pretty nice for visibility on tour, and lots of air on hot days.

Downside is on dusty roads, backwash brings in dust and some exhaust tinted air too. The rear seat usually is dust covered.

As for air with the top up, you gets lots.

On those cold days have added side curtains for the rear seat passengers as they get the most air even with roll up flat closed!

Roll up section, just be sure to place your top straps that run from the rear bow to the rear tack rail the correct distance. Otherwise when you roll up that rear curtain, the straps will show. Place them so they will be inboard of the seam of the roll up.

Have now added side curtains, and that rear gypsy wing panel sure is nice, you can place just that piece on the rear, and passengers are shielded by heavy gusts.

Without side curtains in the cold, your rear passengers must bundle up and sit close :-)

Tour near Tallahassee, in Feb, 29 degrees and driving 35 mph will freeze us FL folks. Best neighbors riding with us that day....why the side curtains were later added!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 09:33 am:

thanks dan yea i see both points. im in nc maybe
a little colder in winter about as hot in summer.
doing the seats and top also need all of the springs
plus stuff to rebuild the headlights a pretty good sum of money. philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 09:35 am:

here is my car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

Very nice, I like the white wall tires!

If you haven't purchased the interior and top kits yet, I recommend Classtique. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

Nice project!

Really like the '24 tourings too.

Think you will enjoy the stock top on yours without the optional roll up rear curtain.

Here is mine, topless, for a while, placed new pads on the 34 year old top I put on when restored, (kit from now out of business Carter's Cut and Cover)

The vinyl covering lasts, but the cotton drill on the bows and top pads just sorta of fell apart.

Rear back rest looks shabby, but its the original Ford, just didn't want to replace that, but still have the material in case I ever do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

Philip-
My 1911 has a roll-up rear curtain, as original. If it is very hot, sometimes I drive with the top up and the rear curtain rolled open.

On my other cars, I only drive with the top up if it is inclement weather, and I have original type of tops on them.

It looks like you are doing a nice restoration job. How "correct" is it, and how "correct" do you want it? I have seen some nice restorations but wondered, "why did he ___________ (fill in the blank)?" Yes, I will raise my hand as "guilty" because my 1919 is light blue. However, if it were my 1924, I would put the "correct" 1924 rear curtain on it. I would however, highly modify the side curtains.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 04:36 pm:

Dan, what you have is called a moonroof.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 05:03 pm:

I am not sure where you are getting your top. I don't see why it would be a fairly expensive option. I have a roll up rear window on my 24 touring. It really adds to the ventilation and vastly improves rear view mirror visibility. I would not go without it if it were mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 08:17 am:

its 135.00 option from classtique i know thats not a fortune but its not often you can be correct for less money. the vision out the back is likely worth the money. thanks philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 08:24 am:

i am pretty sure the car has the original engine in it i dont know about the demount 21 inch wheels.
philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 09:21 am:

I'm pretty sure that 21 inch wheels with balloon tires weren't offered as an option by Ford until 1925. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

Hi Phillip - It seems to me, you'd probably make up the cost of that roll up accessory in a year or two from all the fuel you'd save by not having to drag a sail down the road. You don't want the drogue chute deployed while you're trying to reach 35 MPH.

(Message edited by jesselashcraft on June 14, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

et the roll up, you won't regret it and doesn't make sense to want it later.. I don't have a touring but always have mine rolled up. You didn't say how much more?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 12:03 am:

I have a second hand top for my 24 Touring, that came off of a car getting a nice/new top.

It doesn't have a roll-up rear but I think I'm going to make one by cutting out the center section, then having my daughter sew up the cut edges to make them look nice.

I may put eyelets along the cut edges so I can tie the sides together like shoelaces. I may use leather shoelaces to keep an old-timey look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 08:53 am:

Were the roll up back curtains an original option? I think they were on the US made cars, but not the Canadian. Does that sound correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 09:52 am:

Rear curtain rolled up on all 1909-14 tops, from 1915 on no more roll up from Ford USA, don't know about Canadian production. http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/S-T.htm#top

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration