Top up or down

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Top up or down
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 10:00 am:

how do you like to drive top up or down?
for now its just down for me. philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 10:04 am:

If it is raining top up, otherwise top down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 10:33 am:

I like driving with the top down, however, the sun treats me better with the top up.:-)
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Not too sunny, not too cold, not raining: Top down

Rain, sun, cold: Top up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 10:34 am:

Philip,
It looks like you don't have much choice in the matter!

For me, I do not like to drive with the top up because of the decreased visibility. However, on my 1911, the top is tall enough so the view is not bad with the top up.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 10:41 am:

In dry weather, top down unless it's blistering hot. Then it's nice to have some shade. I like the top up on an especially windy day, too. It helps to keep my hat in the car.

Driving on a windy day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 11:50 am:

I hoped this thread was about something else. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 11:56 am:

I really really like having roll up rear curtain. Nice flow though ventilation and keeps the sun off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

Top down unless it's raining or really hot and sunny. Sometimes, the shade is preferable to the extra open space.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

My 11 touring came with it's original top but after trying to put it up there wasn't much left. I plan to remove it from the vehicle until I can fix the bows and buy a new top. For me it's a big hat and sunscreen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

We don't put the top down often enough. I prefer it down but it is some wind protection when it's cool and shade when it is hot.
I second the roll up curtain Les. Those are truly wonderful.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

I can't get ours in the garage or trailer with the top up.If we are somewhere and we get caught in the rain we may put the top up but intentionley we do not go out in bad weather.Nope,not a trailer queen but i can't afford another so i try to maintain the one i have.I can think of twice when the 14 had to go no matter rain snow or deep mud but once was a funeral!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 03:37 pm:

I've not had this experience personally, but in the past, I have been led to believe that continual driving, especially in dusty conditions, causes more wear to top material than anything else! When any amount of "grit" from road dust or whatever, gets in between the folds of a folded top, it can't get out, and just stays there, and wears, and wears, and wears, from the continual vibration and slight movement from driving. The advice I read (and it makes sense to me) is that the best way to take care of a nice top is to put it up and leave it up as much as possible. FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 06:39 pm:

All the Montana 500 racers go faster with the top up!!

I like the top down so I can see better and the wind blows my hair... Mostly I keep my top up but with the back curtain rolled up. I guess I want to keep the sun off the leather seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

All depends how much gorilla glue I put on my toupče

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

Straying a tad but with the roadster tops that have the two small fixed rear windows and the sides that come around some, wouldn't there be terrible blind spots? I'm scheduled to pick up a 23 this week end and this is something that worries me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 07:38 am:

I love driving both my T's with the top down.
The engine is quieter, the car performs much better and the wind blows your hair everywhere.

Trouble is getting sunburnt and after Chemo that is even more important not to get burnt. Generally, the Ladies like the top up
as not to mess up their hair. Exact opposite of me!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

Top up. Bald

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Fenrich on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

I prefer to drive my car (Model A roadster) with the top down. On a 200 mile trip, my hair was a mess and the sun blinded me in my fixed rear view for a short time, but other than that, top down has more pros than cons in my opinion.

Currently the top is up due to getting caught in the rain recently, and it will stay up for a while just because it get's tiresome to go up and down all the time.

As for visibility, top down is night and day better. I too have the roll up rear curtain as mentioned above, and shoulder checking is okay at best with that (top up). On my inaugural drive home, I tried to shoulder check on the freeway with the curtain down, and it was next to impossible. Top up, I also have to duck down at traffic lights to see, and over the course of a drive, I am very hunched over compared to top down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

The 1920 owner's manual notes that the best gasoline mileage is obtained by driving with the top down, and the windshield folded.

Liz is my first T complete with a top, and I like it up. The rear roll-up curtain is great. Mostly I like it up because it feels like the surround is a bit more secure with Hannah (border collie) beside me on the seat.

She actually seems a bit more road-stable with the top up as opposed to the "feel" when it's down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 02:31 pm:

I love top down....

good visibility, fresh air...

For years I drove without a top. Then, for the Montana 500 I put on a top. Now I always leave it up. I like the sun protection, but most of all, it keeps the wind from beating me to a pulp. For whatever reason, I am just wrung out when I drive with the top down for any length of time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

Well I drive a 26 Coupe so..... ;) Whichever way you choose to drive, I always recommend garaging the cars top up. Storing long term top down is how you get creased and cracked tops. It's why my grandfather has only ever had the top of his roadster down twice in 47 years. Still looks brand new. I do tell him it's ok to put it down while driving and to just put it back up when garaged, but he's adamant on the matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 02:42 pm:

I prefer to have the top down except in really hot and sunny weather. Here in SW Florida from June into early October, that means every day. I expect that I'll put the top down sometime before Halloween.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

Top down without the wife. Top up with the wife!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 10:47 am:

The top on my '23 roadster pickup stays up all the time. But mostly this is because of the design of the bed. We added boards above the vertical sides that flare out at a 45 degree angle. Looks really cool, and would probably come in handy hauling a lot of hay or something, but they interfere with the saddles for holding the top when you fold it down.

I've only put the top down once since I installed it, and that was because I had to trailer it from Kansas to Illinois and the trailer we used was just a wee bit too short to actually fit. So we put rags between the side boards and the top to ensure it didn't rub holes in the vinyl and rolled it into the trailer. When I got home I put it back up and it's been there ever since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 04:27 am:

I would just like to have a top...I'll worry about up or down after I've installed one. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 06:30 am:

THIS IS COMMON SENSE,
top down while driving, top up and side curtains on when wife and I are busy in back seat. Common sense guys. I suppose you could also put it up if it was raining .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

Hahahaha! Now that's funny Dan!
I didn't know they made smoke colored side curtains... :-) I've some research to do. ;-)
The crystal ball says there's a top or two in my future.
I have never had the experience of getting in and out of a little Ford with a damned top and a bow in my way.
I'm tall and I suspect it's gonna suck. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

Duey, you got that Right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

We went on a 3 day tour with no top. Now before the next tour we will have a top, even if it just the bows with a blanket clamped. 3 days in the sun really wears on a person.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration