Ownership in one family

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ownership in one family
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 11:19 am:

My '15 touring has been in the family since new. A guy at work asked if that was unusual. I didn't know and never really thought about it, so I thought I would ask here and let him know

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 11:34 am:

If I had to guess, I'd say it's unusual. There is no car of any kind that is that old and has been in my (even extended) family since new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 11:45 am:

I would say it is very unusual. I can only remember a couple in 54 years in the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 11:48 am:

I too think it's unusual. My '18 TT has been in the family since 1946 and I consider that unusual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 12:32 pm:

I would say it's unique not unusual. How many owners can boast their car has been in the same family for over one hundred years? As for mine both were purchased in the early fifties by my grandfather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

My 1926 Fordor was purchased new by my grandfather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

I thnk its not common to find a one family T. After nearly a century it's pretty neat to say the least! It would be really neat if the MTFCA had some type of registry to list the ones that are
I owner cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

My speedster Eliza was originally purchased by my great-great-grandfather Ben. It was a '14 touring car. Ben's son Pope (my great granddad) was a Model T mechanic by trade. Pope's son Courtney (my granddad) received the car from Ben as a gift to have something to drive when he went to college at Georgia Tech.

Pope and Courtney turned the car into a speedster and painted it yellow since he was going to GT. My grandfather had the car and kept it and drove it in parades and even took my grandmother on a trip to Virginia in it for their honeymoon. Eventually he gave it to me, and I've played with it ever since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 02:06 pm:

My Gramps bought this TT new at Westlake Ford (Seattle,WA) in early 1924 - it has a 12/23 engine number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

You guys are lucky to have cars with known histories. I bought mine as basically a 'barn find' from a disinterested biker who had an unhealthy fascination with Nazis and I have zero history on the car before that. I have some clues that maybe it came from west of me but that's about it.

I do, however, know the whereabouts of my grandfather's uncle's 1915 touring that he bought brand new. It's a two-owner car and I would become the third in a heartbeat if the opportunity came up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 04:25 pm:

Both of my 11 cars were in the same family when I got them. My 15 WT Roadster is a 3rd owner car. And my 14 WT Roadster, I drove it away from the Dealer that got it from FORD new, they never sold it. So does that make the original owner? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 04:31 pm:

My car has had only one owner since new.
it is a 2010 Toyota.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vieux Carre on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

I'm at least the 6th owner of a '26 T and met the last three owners.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

the 1915 that is the basis for the war wagon is original to my wife's family. several transformations through the yers speedster and doodlebut amoung them, but now the same frame as 102 years ago and any axle or engine changes to it were by them through the years.

wish I had the original license plates. while dismantling an old chicken coop on the family farm with red glazed porcelain blocks, we found license plates from the 20's and 30's used between the blocks as ways to block the mortor from spilling down into the empty chambers of the block. before my time, but the depression must have been a very trying and resourceful time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 06:44 pm:

Our 23 was purchased used by Teresa's grandfather at a used car dealership in Faith, SD in 1926 and has been in the family ever since. Although not purchased "new" I still think that's a long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs Dearborn, MI on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 06:44 pm:

Photos: This Model T Ford has been in the same family for 100 years
http://www.jsonline.com/picture-gallery/news/columnists/jim-stingl/2017/06/13/ph otos-this-model-t-ford-has-been-in-the-same-family-for-100-years/102807386/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Voss on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 06:58 pm:

My 27 has been in are family since 30. But it was sold from a family owned dealership new. It is also the only car my grandfather ever owned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

My 25 Coupe was bought by my grandfather in 1942, and he drove it until his death in 1958. My dad flat towed it from Indiana to New York in 1959. It moved to Virginia, to my older brother and with him back to Dayton Ohio. I got it from him in 2001 and have owned it since, moving it back to Indiana, about 100 miles from its home. A long round trip! Eventually it will move on to my brothers son. My dad rebuilt the 26 chassis and installed the depot hack body on my other T, finishing it when he was 90. He passed away this past March at age 95.

The coupe has had the rear end rebuilt, emergency brakes repaired, new exhaust with an Arvin heater, new tires,tubes, new wiring under the dash, and in the engine compartment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 11:25 pm:

My Grandfather's 1927 coupe has been in the family at least since 1941 (76 years). My grandfather was not even of average means, financially, so my guess is that he bought it used, probably around 1937 when it was a ten year old used Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 12:01 am:

Although I am the third owner, my TT was bought new in Healdsburg, Ca, and spent it's entire life in Healdsburg until I bought it and moved it to Lake County last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 04:10 am:

Drawing lines. The financial crash of '29 changed the course of everything. People, before the depression and WWII, were more likely to keep and cherish their favorite car, or things from their ancestors. It should be noted, that many cultures around the world cherish and treasure their heirlooms from generations past. In some oriental cultures, not properly caring for simple tools that belonged to an ancestor would be grounds for "dishonor". Over polishing old brass is as disagreeable as not caring for the piece at all.
Many people born before the crash continued the old ways of caring about ancestors and heritage. However, with each succeeding generation, fewer and fewer people seem to care about that stuff. People born of the '30s and '40s needed to struggle, along with their parents, to survive. Between financial hardships, and the demands of the war, many people had to move what only a few years earlier would have been considered great distances, just to survive, or to do their part. Most of those people had to make hard choices to leave behind things that they otherwise would have preserved with love and respect. The children of those generations seem to keep going down that path. Even though it is no longer a necessity.
I don't like where I see society going these days. In my (approaching) 50 years in this hobby? I have seen dozens of antique automobiles that were still owned by descendants of the original owners. Sadly, I think more than half of them were for sale at the time I read about them, and most of those in the past fifteen or twenty years. I find it sad that so many cars could be owned by the original families for about 3/4 century, only to wind up unwanted by everyone left in the family. (I should add, that in many cases, it was made clear that there were a fair number of family members, and that none wanted to care for the car. Also, the cars in question were not so valuable that any division of the proceeds would be a major financial consideration.)

In some shape or another, I have had more than a dozen antique cars in my life. Most of them, were in really bad shape when I got them. Nobody had kept any record of where they came from. Only one, and it really wasn't mine. The 1927 Paige my dad bought when I was fifteen, did we ever know who the original owner was. And he was not related to us. Otherwise, every other antique car I have had, the history was lost long before I got it. Only a couple could be traced back to the mid '50s.

I am somewhat envious of people that can have a pre-1930 car that was originally bought by their own family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 04:22 am:

There were 1.5 million Model Ts made.

Lets say, 1% of all Model T's have survived. That is a guess (and it IS just that - a guess - I really have no idea how many have survived, but no-one does) that would mean your car is amongst one of 150,000. So, she is still common.

However, amongst those will be a percentage that have survived within the same family. In New Zealand, where possession of a car was treasured since the Second World War right through until the early 1970s (as replacements were so difficult to obtain in that period) a cars life expectancy was stretched, so our survival rate should be higher than most places. We imported from Canada around 43,000 Model Ts.

Yet I am aware of just one same-family Model T in New Zealand.

All things being equal, if the NZ survival rate of all Model Ts is 1% there would be around 430 left. And that might actually be right. Maybe overstated. Anyway, lets say 1% of those were one-family owned cars - that would mean 4 or 5 such cars. Lets say 2% - because we stretched the ownership so much longer than elsewhere and of course, as the cars got older, families may have been more reluctant to let the old 'family member' go. So, that would mean around 10 such cars. At the most!

But I know of just one.

May maths doesn't make me right and it is an interesting question. So, I know this is far from a perfect answer - but lets test it....

Are there any other one-family owned cars in NZ that anyone is aware of, other than Alex's one (located just out of Christchurch)?

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 04:39 am:

I have never had an old car that was bought new by any family member, I don't think any of my family was able to afford a new car back in the T era. I do have a '25 coupe that is pretty much original, sorta. It has had a farmer paint job back in the early 60's along with a then new interior and top. The engine was "freshened up" by my old buddy when he owned it back in the early 2000's. Everything else still has 90 year old grease and oil underneath it. My only claim to fame is that it was assembled in the Kansas City branch plant, and I live in NW MO., not all that far from there. I don't think it has ever been too far from home. That's as close as I can come. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod McKenzie on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 04:44 am:

John, I have just run through the MTFCNZ Register and there are 441 Ford T's with number plates issued and recorded within the register. There are numerous others that are known to the register but information as to their state of repair/disrepair is not known. We have over 1000 engine numbers recorded. So what you surmise is pretty much on the button. I am unaware of any one-family owned ones showing up in the register.
Rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 05:36 am:

John, you have stated elsewhere that you are writing a book about Australian Ts ?? Then you should at least know that they built fifteen million Model Ts, not 1.5 million. Inquiring through forums like this, you are only "asking the converted", so you will never get any definitive answer as there are always vehicles that "No one knows about".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 06:40 am:

My wife is the 3rd lady owner of "our" '21.
In 1964, the original lady owner gave it to my mother on the condition that she didn't sell it to a man. So when my father died and my mother had no further use for it, Sandy bought it.
So, its been in 2 families since new. The original owners for 42 years and ours for 53 years.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 07:25 am:

My 1926 Pick up was bought new by my Grandmother and the day she lost her drivers licence due to age (74) she gave it to me. That was 1964! So, there's another T that has been in the family since new. I even have the name of the Salesman who sold it to her, delivered and taught to drive it!!
Alan in a Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 07:47 am:

I bought my 66 F100 from the original family six years ago and I considered that unusual.

So yeah....a T still in the original family....that's definitely noteworthy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 08:14 am:

Alan - that's really cool :-) I don't know about any such long family T ownerships here in Sweden, and almost 50,000 were imported here.

But it was harsh on your grandmother that her license was revoked just because of age - maybe she could have renewed it with a test?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Our 14 Touring was bought new by my wife's grandparents, Math and Margaret Bissen in September 1914, technically it is a 1915 but my father in-law has always called it a 14 so I will stick with 14 also. They paid $490. plus $30. shipping, still have the original Bill of Sale. The Ford Dealer in Adams MN was 4 blocks from our house. They were both killed in a car accident in 1940, the estate sold the car in the late 40's to a young man in Austin MN for $90. He put it on blocks and left it that way until we bought it from him in 1990 for $1250. We will pass it on to Derek and he will pass it on to his kids, so I see it staying in the family for at least another 75 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon Bayley on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 03:51 pm:

Hi John,

To clarify -

We have the 1925 that's been family owned since new and Alex's aunt had the 1923 that's been owned since new - same family. So but the looks it's rare in nz and even rarer to have two... now if we could locate the model c😊

I will try and post a pic of the two together that we took a while back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 04:39 pm:

I'd say it's pretty rare. Our family is the second owner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

Thanks Rod - 1% was an absolute pig in a poke!

Ivan you are right about the number of T's built. Well, sort of right - there were almost 15.5 million T's built! SMILEY FACE But 1% of 15 million remains 150,000!

Rob that is quite funny! 'DO NOT sell it to a man!'. A good history, though.

Good one Alan in WA - no doubt that history has been recorded by the Aussie club?

Dean - another great slice of history - good that weren't killed in the T. (What sort of car were they in?).

And as for you young Simon - don't you think you and Alex are just being a tad greedy? ANOTHER SMILEY FACE - indeed I didn't realise that - how incredible.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

I had to write SMILEY FACE because I could not get the character formatting to work - but it let Roger Karlsson use it. Maybe it doesn't work south of the equator PONDEROUS FACE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 12:59 am:

Sheldon's posting made me think of my Model A (all my Ts have "shady" pasts--or at least undocumented). Bought New by Mr. Green, who drove it until he passed in 1954. After that it was parked behind Ma Green's Koffee Kup on the family resort, where it slowly sank into the ground. When I was about 4, I would slide down the front fenders and peek in the windows where there were a bunch of cardboard boxes stacked up. Around 1962 my brothers started working on it to "fix it up" for Ma Green, however, she got sick, and before she passed she made certain the title was passed to my Dad & Brothers (Dad turned in the original pink slip to get the new title--a mistake he regretted later). My brothers took the car apart, then graduated from High School. I was in 8th grade and began restoring the car and putting it back together, and was able to drive it (unfinished) to my High School Graduation. Now I've owned it longer than Mr. Green, (and it's been restored longer than it was unrestored) but there is no one in my family to hand it down to, no one is interested.
PS it was on the family resort from 1954 to 1998, long time at one address.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 09:09 am:

John, they were driving a new 1940 Ford car and were broad sided by a new 1940 Dodge loaded gravel truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 09:40 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 09:47 am:

Thanks Derek. I should learn how to post pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 06:41 pm:

Thanks Derek - graphic stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Scholz on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 12:33 am:

My 14 Touring is a hand me down from my father (who never registered the car) who received the T from his uncle, who bought the car from Henry. I learned how to drive a car in this T, at the ripe old age of 10, and that was 68 years ago. It sure has been a wonderful 68 years. The car remains almost original, as I did install a new top. Truly a survivor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

Here's a nice story, and a true T lover. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK_HOrVNmY8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 01:47 pm:

100 years in the same family I would think is rare. I doubt my kids would keep my old cars. They have no serious interest enough to keep them up. I have instructed my wife if something happens to me to immediately put my model A s, Ts up for sale so they can go somewhere to be taken care of. We all know they need work here and there and I would like to think someone would appreciate them as I do. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeffrey black on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 10:20 am:

When I bought my 13 touring five years ago, it had been in the same family since new. After four generations, the great grand daughter decided it was time to sell. I have pictures and lots of documentation since new. Car still has most all of its original parts including interior, engine, wheels , firewall etc.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration