OT , what size wheels should a 1931 slant window have

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT , what size wheels should a 1931 slant window have
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 11:25 am:

I have a couple of ts that I'm working on an driving , but I picked up a 1931 Murray body deluxe town sedan and want to put the right sized wheels on it , it has ( I believe ) 32/34 style wheels on it now , but I don't think they're correct ? Pics and size if possible , thanks guys .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 11:42 am:

19 inch wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

That's a beautiful car ! Thank you !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

You're welcome. Mine's a 160-B Murray Town Sedan. Is yours a -B or a -C the Deluxe with only two windows on the side?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

19'' wires, those look correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 01:01 pm:

Tim , mine looks like yours , only it was wrecked In the 60's and put in a barn until a couple years ago when I bought it , I'm technically the second owner of it . The original owners wife and daughter sold it to me , the original 1931 title says dept of revenue instead of dept of transportation .
Thanks Gary !! I have a ton of model A wheels , now I'll have to measure and find the correct set for my car ,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 01:24 pm:

Travis,
Easy to spot, A passenger car wheels are either 21" with rolled edges, or 19" with a formed edge. Oh, there are two kinds of 21" wheels, but that's not an issue for a '31. BTW, you say "Murray" but if you're saying that because the side windows arch up at the top, ALL '31 S/W sedans are built that way. The earlier Straight W/S sedans varied from Murray to Briggs, with the window tops being the easiest "spotting" feature. There's also the door bottoms, Briggs bodies have the bottom belt molding as part of the body, Murray's have it as part of the door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 02:43 pm:

Thanks David , it's body tag says Murray 160B , was looking through my pics , I've had it two years now , guess I outta get busy on it , lol !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

Well, having the Murray body tag on it pretty well cinches it! I have a friend with two A-400s (and most of a third) and he used to have a 160C body, but sold it a few years ago. There is a rare bird indeed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

Ah, the pictures finally showed up (dial up strikes again). Wow, looks great, although I'm confused as one photo shows the correct wheel on the left rear, but the next one shows the later wheels. Looks like it had a "minor mishap" sometime. Note that the rear bumper brackets AND bumper bars are special to that model. Be careful with that Briggs tag, not often one find one that nice--and still with the car. The patent plate above it is reproduced, various reproductions and some are better than others. A & L parts used to make the best one, real zinc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

Augh, Murray tag, not Briggs. One track mind here, sorry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 05:48 pm:

And if you're identifying the current wheels, then check the tire size. 18" would be 1932, 17" 1933-34 and 16" 1935 if they're std Ford wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 05:57 pm:

The rear tire kept going flat , so I put another on it , just went through the hoarde and found that I indeed have 5 decent 19" wheels ( they will need blasted and paint/powder coated ) but I have 5 so I'm happy 😊 . The original owner was. Plumber and has added some brackets here and there on the car as it was his work truck , even has a cool trailer hitch and electric hook up for lights , anyhow , he rear ended a milk truck and parked it in the barn , where it sat until I purchased it . Literally less than a mile from my house , I've been driving past this car for 30 years ( I'm 46 ) and never new it was there , they had a yard sale and we got to talking about old cars ( model T's ) I told them that I had a couple of T's and they asked if I wanted to buy an A for 500.00 , what other answer was there but yes ?? So here we go again !! Lol !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 12:10 am:

Wow, that was a real find! I'd better go check out more yard sales!! :-)
back when I was still in High School I had a Model A friend a few years older than me (2?). He wanted a Model A and we drove all over the north state looking for one; saw some unusual cars too, back then (1970)--I remember one '30 coupe with dual sidemounts; original owners, who ordered it that way and delivered to Hawaii. Well, I heard about one, a 30 sedan that fit his bill---it was in a backyard that backed up to his folk's backyard! We got it running, and wired the doors together and drove it around the long block it took to get it to his house. Nice thing about mechanical brakes; you don't have to bleed them if the car's been sitting a long time!
Found some unfinished pics of the S/W I did decades ago. I don't remember which body maker it was. Can't find any finished pics.
Passenger side

Driver's side 3/4 view. After painting the underside of the body, I put the body on the frame for the rest of the painting--didn't want to damage anything nor have mis-fits on the doors. Put some thick plastic down on the frame before installing the body, cut it away when I was done.

Here's a rare pic of me painting--I was MUCH younger then, and thinner.

Notice the fancy paint booth, back section of the shop, big squirrel cage fan in a window frame, wet down the floor and paint-after making certain the termites aren't flying (YES, it did happen once!)
The top-line models of the sedans had woodgrained trim, this pic, if I remember right, shows an original at the bottom, cleaned and clear-coated to bring back the original graining, and the top one is one I grained.

Oh, and finally, not a S/W blindback, but a '29 Briggs one--hey, I didn't get to work on every version!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 07:39 am:

That's Awsome Dave , thanks for sharing your pictures , Im still a novice at antiques but I've painted some cars and did restorations on several 70's pick ups , my car has that molding , is it hard to regrain ? I haven't even started on mine yet , just getting wheels around making sure that I have some of the stuff . Someone told me the fenders were different on the Murray ? Is this true ? If so where would I find them .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 05:41 pm:

Hi Travis,
the rear fenders for the S/W are slightly different, there's a "dent" in the inner fender panel that clears some rivets, if my memory isn't too faulty. I don't remember if it depended on body maker. Yours look saveable--although the passenger side one will take quite a bit of work! Fronts should be just any '31 front fender. I know a guy who can probably fix that front one, but I think a better replacement would be less expensive!
The amazing thing about the woodgrain is that it is often still intact, but hidden by dirty and crazed clear coat. With a car like yours that appears to mostly have been kept indoors, you might luck out. Clean the pieces thoroughly, and look at them while they are wet--if you can see the woodgrain, you might try clear-coating them (lacquer) and see how they look. The graining isn't hard, the metal is first painted with a base color (look on the back sides of the moldings to see the color. Then using a rubber-based brown printer's ink and some cheese cloth, you put some ink on the cloth and jerkily drag it across the molding experiment around, as you can just wipe the ink off if you don't like it. Once you get what you like, let it dry overnight, then clear coat it--don't touch it until it's clear coated, as the stuff never adheres and will easily wipe off. That's a simplified instructions!
That '29 blindback was purchased as a body skin, almost no wood, and nearly no dents at all, so it deserved to be saved. I doubt I would undertake something like that today, but I was young then and thought I could do most anything. Considering that body style has one of the lowest production numbers for A bodies, I think it was worth saving, although back then Fordors were not "hot" items.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration