1926 roadster steering backet bushing questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1926 roadster steering backet bushing questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

I'm installing a new bushing into a frame mounted steering bracket. The bracket I have (T932C) is correct for a 1926 Roadster as far as my research has led me. Purchased the new bushing, felt washer and grease cup from a Lang's. The bracket I have is missing the old bushing. Here are the questions, is the felt washer used in this application, and if so where does it go? The one I received looks too large to go into the bore. I see a step in the bore, but that's where the grease cup empties into the bracket. When pulling the bushing in with the bolt and washer method, how far does it go in? Flush or sticking out a bit? If it is flush it looks like there's about 1/2" gap before the step that I assume is a place for the grease to go. Thanks in advance for any help, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

No felt in the "Improved" car steering bracket & you want the bushing flush with the bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

Thanks Steve, bushing is in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 11:20 am:

Check for wear on the shaft. It is possible that you might need to lightly turn the shaft in a lathe to true it up. The bushing should than be reamed to fit the shaft.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 11:40 am:

The steering shaft on my 26 Runabout was worn unevenly in the bushing area, Upon closer inspection, it was bent as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

Will do Norman, when I get that far. Just a frame sandblasted and painted so far. The plan for now is to get the frame on blocks and start putting together after going through each piece. I'm sure I'll have more questions and it is much appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 11:28 pm:

Wrong. A felt ring goes in the steering bracket. I took the steering column out of my '26 Tudor that was unmolested. Yes, a piece of old felt fell out of the groove in the steering bracket. Why else would the groove be in there then? I'm not sure it was greased as much as being oiled perhaps though. Since the shaft itself was worn unevenly, we machined the shaft to fit the pressed in bushing. Provides a nice tight fit again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 09:56 am:

I've not seen an "Improved" car steering bracket with the upper "groove" for a felt & I've got a dozen of those "26 - '27 brackets on the shelf. I'll go verify your statement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 10:13 am:

The 1926 steering bracket is totally different that the earlier ones, and uses NO felt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 11:34 am:

That was my understanding, Larry - Kevin is stating to the contrary ?

How can you be positive that your column & bracket hadn't been replaced sometime in the last 90 years, Kevin ?

Is the column mounting plate that bolts up to the firewall round or square ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

I got the car from the original family's secretary. Yeah, they had money...and still do. I have a full history of the car. I also have a second '26 that I just rebuilt the steering bracket as well. That had the groove in it too. Stick your finger down there, you can feel it. And you're right, the Improved car steering brackets are different from the earlier models. No question about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 03:55 pm:

Not to be argumentative but here's a couple photos for you Kevin - one can easily determine the pre '26 - '27 bracket by the bulbous top of the bracket where the felt ring goes - no such area on my "Improved" car lower brackets & I've re-bushed dozens for customers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

Well Steve, I went out to the garage to take the steering column apart. Sorry for the clarity of the pics this is kind of a rush job. A new bushing from the vendors has been installed. If you look hard you can see a space above the top of the bushing about 1/4" wide where the grease seal fits in. From there the space tapers to just below the grease hole. This bracket is the one off my original condition '26 Tudor I rebuilt to get rid of the slop as I work to restore the vehicle.

I also have '26 Touring that is my driver with the same steering bracket and seal space. The Tudor's production was 12/8/1925. The Touring's production is in early March '26. One of the things I've discovered in Improved Cars is that there always seems exceptions to the rule. They must have been making changes fast and furious to try and keep profitability and sales.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

Kevin, I noticed that space on my 26 Runabout steering housing as well. Appears to me if one placed a felt seal there, grease would have a hard time lubricating the bushing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

That's why I'm wondering if they recommended axle oil or similar. So many of the front end parts required oiling, I'm thinking that may have been the case here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

With a grease cup specified, I don't think oil was recommended for a 1926 steering bracket. Odd set-up, that's for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

Steve, I'm wondering...do you buy your bushings from the vendors or machine them yourself?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

I machine my own bushings. And I believe that "groove" you are referring to is merely the remnants of the machining process used to bore the casting for the bushing. If any purpose was meant at all, I would assume due to the close proximity of the grease galley, it could be a "grease reservoir".

Make no sense to have a "seal" which impeded the grease to the lower bushing - think about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Kinda wondered about. When I looked at you photos, the bushing looks longer than what the vendors sell. That might account for the extra space. I think the ones the vendors sell a about 1.25" long or something like that. When I pump grease into the bracket it does indeed go beyond the felt seal down the shaft. I wonder if they put that felt in there in an attempt to keep grit out of there? Maybe someplace there's an explanation for that void in there, but at the moment I have too much to get done to do any research on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 12:06 am:

What great timing! I have to replace this bearing. I have looked in the black book, for details, and have not found anything. Anyone know which paragraphs cover rebuilding the steering gear bracket.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration