Rain is getting inside!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rain is getting inside!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

I had my T parked outside during a heavy rainstorm the other day. When I went to leave, it wouldn't start (which became another issue). The starter wouldn't engage so today we tried push starting it. I got it to run but very poorly. I shut it down and took a closer look. Under the hood, spark plugs 1 and 2 were submersed in water. I think water seeped past and made plug 1 foul. How do you keep water from pooling in the spark plug cavities?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

Make a rubber seal under the center hood hinge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

Unless you are running a distributor you may also want to check the coil box wood, I had mine short out thru the wet wood years ago and wound up putting the plastic kit into my car after a rain storm. The shorting put a carbon trail from the terminal to the closest ground thru the wood grain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

My coil box is under the dash. Do those have issues as well?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

How would I attach the rubber to the inside of the hood?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

I had an under the dash coil box short out during a downpour in a tour many years ago and have since put one of John Regan's "Fun Projects" kits in every coil box. I don't believe they'll short out even if wet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 02:24 am:

I have had the spark plug pockets fill up when our 13 got caught outside during a heavy rain storm. Was inside eating lunch. After lunch/rain stopped, Dried out the pockets and continued on the tour.
Does not happen that often, no real damage done. I was running a Dist. and did not worry about coil box issues.

Others on the tour had the same thing happen to their model T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 06:11 am:

As Noel mentioned it happens to the under cowl boxes too, my car was a 15 and the water came in under the hood and thru the firewall to body seam which suffered from 100 year old "seals" made of woven cotton I think.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration