Open for discussion tbay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Open for discussion tbay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 09:55 am:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-Ford-Model-T-Surrey-/263034765318?hash=item3d3e1800 06:g:M9cAAOSwLsBZP0tV&vxp=mtr

Saw this on tbay and am not connected just interested in reading every ones views.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 10:06 am:

Well, he's correct; it's one of a kind all right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 10:07 am:

Didn't see much that was 1910 but an interesting windshield and lamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 10:08 am:

The future of the hobby right there. It will most likely sell for more than anyone on here figures it's worth due to the numerous incorrect items. It will most likely be bought by somebody who has never owned a T and that person will have great fun with it. One of those people lives close to me, absoultly thrilled and loves his T and does not care about it being correct. If I am right these are the people we need to welcome and not discourage when they find a local group and are proud that they have a "1910" when it is anything but.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 10:21 am:

A November 1920 Canadian engine with a '26/'27 transmission. The odd combination of rear pressed steel and front forged running board brackets may indicate when the changeover was done in Canada? (Wouldn't surprise me if it's factory - no waste at Ford factories, just use up the old stuff :-) )

Fun car with a reasonable starting price (if it's running good without major mechanical problems) - could get a brass speedster look without too much work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 10:23 am:

Along with the usual baloney ("extremely rare" wood wheels), the description honestly states "Ford never built this model." If it goes for anything close to the current bid, somebody will get a good deal. It may even have an actual 1910 part or two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

In the spirit of Mom's "If you can't say something nice......"
Perhaps it will bring someone new to the hobby that will benefit from knowledge gained here and other places.
Rich

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

Alice Roosevelt Longworth had on her couch a pillow embroidered with, "If you can't say something nice, come sit by me." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

Thanks Steve. Someone who "...smoked cigarettes in public, rode in cars with men, stayed out late partying, kept a pet snake named Emily Spinach..." could enjoy a pillow like that.

The car in question would be perfect for that.:-)
Rich

(Sorry Mom)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

Hey, it's cute. Of course it isn't correct but the seller doesn't pretend that it is which is a bit refreshing. Somebody could have a real good time with it and I expect it would garner lots of smiles and waves. If the buyer chooses to make it more correct, he's probably starting with the wrong car but what the heck, it looks like fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

I agree with Chadwick! Whoever buys this car will have a ton of fun, and if they do join one of the Model T Clubs, should be welcomed with open arms! We all know that once the T bug bites, we live with the sting! The first car may not be 100% correct, but we know, you can't have just one. As this person becomes involved in the Model T hobby, he will most likely buy "more correct" cars, and maybe even make changes to the surrey car.

The seller states that "Ford never made this car" so any buyer should be aware that it is not a "correct" Model T, but it is still a very fun car and a great parade car too. If the rear seat were redone to be a full size seat, it would actually resemble a 1910 Tourabout except for the top.

None of my four T's are 100% correct, and I knew this when I bought them. I do occasionally make some changes to make them more true to their original state, or to make them safer to drive in modern city traffic, but for the most part I am happy with them as they are, and I freely tell people what is correct and not correct for the particular model year of the car. Most of the "incorrect" items are only noticeable to other T guys anyway! The general public doesn't know or care about these minor differences and "accessories", but are very interested in seeing a genuine 100+ year old car still operating reliably, and they do appreciate when the minor differences and accessories are explained to them. Do they care that I now have demountable rims on a car that did not come from the factory with them? NO! do they appreciate the convenience and ease of changing a flat tire, and understand why someone may have made the "upgrade" at some point? YES! They also understand the need for tail lights, turn signals, mirrors, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud those who strive to return their cars to the way they were when they left the factory. As I said, I also make changes to some of my cars to make them closer to their original state, but I am more interested in driving my cars and encouraging others to join in the fun of our hobby and drive their cars too. When I do attend car shows and cruises, my cars are not the most "correct" or cleanest or highly polished cars there. My cars are drivers and it shows. I always tell people that some peoples hobby is to restore and polish their cars and that is what they really enjoy, but my hobby is to use and drive my cars, and while I keep them reasonably clean and polished, the undersides and engines are oily, greasy, and dirty. I do not enjoy polishing.

Sorry for the rant. It bothers me when a car is advertised as "rare" or "original" when it is not, but that is not the case here, and this would be a fun start for someone who may be interested in our hobby. I hope the buyer enjoys it and becomes interested enough to join us in our fun too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 01:43 pm:

I like the line about the "adorable" white tires. Well, they haven't turned brown, so maybe he's right. Rare ? I reckon so, you'll probably never find another "bitsa" T like it. Original ? Yup. Like an original metal sculpture made from found objects !
I like that it's offered at no reserve, that's sensible. It is "cute" and that goes a long way with a lot of folks, over historical accuracy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 02:19 pm:

A sensible, mostly truthful description, how nice, car's kinda cute too. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

I'm thinking remove the top and mother in law seat, add a bed. I think I have a spare Chevy crankshaft somewhere in the garage, maybe some yellow paint too...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

Damn hot-rod kids !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 05:08 pm:

You have to agree, the leaks are slight, you gotta have this car! Hmmmm....probably be a lot of fun anyway!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Ending in 40 mins, no bids,$5400. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

I agree that the car is not really a 10 anything, but it would be a blast to drive and turn heads everywhere. Whose first model T was all correct? Whose current T is all correct?

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 11:14 pm:

It ended at $6475. Not bad for what looks to be a good, running car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 12:17 am:

And no bids?! Even for what it is, that would be a good buy! A few minor changes, and it could have been a good looking fun vehicle.
eBad is a funny place. Some stuff goes for twice what it is worth, other things can't get a decent offer. Of course, all auctions are that way to some extent.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration