Oil change options

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Oil change options
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

I want to change the old oil in my TT. A friend suggested adding ATF to the old oil and running the engine a bit first. Since the ATF has a lot of detergent it would help clean out the gunk. Does this work? Could this be harmful to this old engine? Is there a better method of cleaning out the old deposits and tar like oil? I don't have clean environment, like a garage, where I can open up the engine. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

Not going to do damage but it could break sludge loose and plug your oil pick-up tube. Kinda depends on how gunky the engine is and how frequently the oil has been changed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

I think it would make more sense just to run the detergent oil of your choose and keep changing it on a regular basis.

Adding ATF to the oil and running it for a short period of time prior to the oil change just to "rinse it out" isn't going to do much, in my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

I think it's good to open up all three inspection lids on an unknown engine to have a good look - and if there is a large amount of sludge, cleanup is needed. The oil pipe can be blown through with compressed air (and a piece of tube) with the bottom plate under the pan off.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration