Oil Pan Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Oil Pan Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

Does the disc with the slot in it at bottom of oil pan( covers up the drain hole) need to be there? What is suppose to do? I know Ford would not have put it there if they thought it was not needed. Sure would be easy to get a dropped nut or washer out if it was not there. Input? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 04:31 pm:

Dan,

"Sure would be easy to get a dropped nut or washer out if it was not there."

That's why it's there...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 06:55 pm:

Yes Dan I agree. Jerry that makes no sense

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

unless you're trying to keep a finger out of harms way when servicing the car. It looks like an OSHA-mandated thing...60 years before it's time...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

I think Jerry is hinting that the plate is there to trap stuff that otherwise may bé free to cause havoc.
I could be wrong.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

Provides a 'trap' to collect heavy debris from the oil.

But importantly allows the oil to drain out in a more controlled stream..... as the oil drops down through the narrow rectangular slot out the drain hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

With or without it there the band nuts and washers are too large to got thru the drain hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

Mark

That is right! The little drain hole is there.

As for the rectangular slot in the disc above the drain hole, was describing the 'controlled stream' produced.

Actually that rectangular hole creates a venturi effect. That is the oil runs out more quickly from the slot, bringing with it a turbulence to the stationary oil stored above.

When you remove that drain plug, have you noticed how the oil stream coming out takes a fluid like twist? The venturi effect provides a strong flow under the disc to also remove the debris caught there.

A self-cleaning drain.

Henry and his guys knew their physics stuff :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 04:03 am:

That's very interesting Dan, and very cool to think they thought about stuff like that 100 years ago

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 08:58 am:

I wonder if my pan is missing that feature? When I pull the drain plug the oil dumps out in a big gusher and splashes. I also had a bendix shaft key come out with the oil one time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 10:40 am:

Mark , it probably does. Stick your finger in the hole you'll feel the baffle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 11:00 am:

Doug K.,

It makes sense if you have a sense of humor. I was suggesting it was the work of a sadistic engineer, designer, or Henry Ford himself.

If I could edit it, I'd add a ":-)" to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

oops sorry Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

sometimes Its hard to tell when someone is joking when your reading, especially when texting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

No problem Doug. The "hard to tell..." thing bites me in the butt every now and then.

Happy touring!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration