Stolen 1909 Coil Box Craigslist

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Stolen 1909 Coil Box Craigslist
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rodger Erickson on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

Just an FYI - the 1909 Coil Box for sale right now on the Los Angeles Craigslist was stolen from Red Ladner (who owns a 1909 T) over the weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

thanks for the heads up, but I hope you got a hold of a few nearby friends to arrange to pay this thief a visit before you outed him here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 05:08 pm:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pts/6174536687.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

Did you call the authorities?? Of course the idea of meeting up with the guy and administering some "justice" must be tempting. What else was stolen form Red, this guy probably has it all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

Rodger,

So was the car stolen ?

Were other parts stolen from the car ?

Did someone witness the theft ?

Do you have proof that the coil box is the exact same one stolen and can be positively identified?

Unless you have documentation in hand corroborating what you are alleging - you might think twice before posting.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

Yeah, pass this onto the detectives, otherwise they will pull the ad and be gone soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 07:54 pm:

Interesting items in photo backgrounds, coil box on glass showcase.

Third photo shows Mardi Gras like devil mask on shelving behind. And red glazed stepped like vase.

First photo pack of water bottles. Looks like a shop, maybe pawn shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

Looks like an antique shop or antique mall to me.

The seller is probably not the person who stole it.

Most likely, the thief walked in and sold it to the antique dealer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rodger Erickson on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

It's highly probable the original thief sold it to an unwitting pawnbroker for dope money. I asked Red to check the pawn shops (there are several nearby.) Hopefully whoever has it will do the right thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

Red is a wonderful guy. If you know him you know that. It is sad this would happen to anyone. I'm glad there is an opportunity to catch the thief or at least return the coil box.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

All licensed California pawn brokers are required to keep pawn slips with the sellers drivers license and identification information. I would contact the authorities immediately. The authorities will collect the items and return it to the owner and conduct follow up regarding who sold the item to the pawnshop. They will also pursue prosecution as needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

Anyone who has been around brass cars certainly knows Red and Laurie Ladner. They have been pillars in the brass community and the HCCA for decades.

It would certainly be nice to know more about this theft.

Also, it is likely that someone will buy this coil box unknowingly because at 600.00 it is a bargain. If I saw this for sale-and didn't know it was stolen-I would buy it in a heart beat. I would think a coil box in that condition should be 1,500.00 to 2,000.00. Maybe more. I don't know.

I would assume the proper authorities have been notified and this coil
box is no longer on the market. If it stays on the market for any length of time, it will be sold and its whereabouts will vanish.

Hope this all works out well and somehow it is returned to Red. He has done so much for the hobby, he deserves to be helped in the matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

Since it is a respond to email listing only, it is likely the seller knows or suspects it is stolen. The authorities have only two options. They can obtain the email account holders identification and / or arrange to make a transaction in person. The likelihood of identifying the seller through email subscriber information is very unlikely. The only viable option is to identify the seller if they agree to meet in person to make the transaction. I would encourage anyone not to attempt contact as you may likely spook the seller and the chance to recover the item will be surely lost. Act quick as time is running out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

Interesting how the name tag and switch isn't centered the same? This may be the way to identify the box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

The same seller has an antique brass car lamp listed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

"The same seller has an antique brass car lamp listed"

You cannot automatically make that determination simply because both ads reference Azusa and Model T.

A seller can link their ads by including the "more ads by this user" function. However, neither ad has such a link nor do they contain shared information such as the same telephone number, etc.

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on June 14, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

No phone number number or name of seller listed. Red flags for certain. Hopefully, the victim has already contacted the authorities he reported the theft to. When they do, ensure the reported value is over $950. Otherwise it is only viewed as a misdemeanor offense. Any theft in excess of $950 is considered a felony.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 10:30 pm:

Mark-Thank you for posting these valuable tips. It is always helpful to have someone that knows the right way to go about these things. Hopefully this will get returned safely and the crook or crooks will be prosecuted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

Agree Erik, there is no guarantee they are the same seller.... then again, try to figure the odds they are not. Both are Azusa, both adds are all caps with no contact information, and both are 2 days old.... And there are few early Model T parts listed in Southern CA on a regular basis (I check most weeks)....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 11:46 pm:

I agree with Gary. Very likely the same operator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 12:33 am:

The ad now has been deleted by the author

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 12:43 am:

Sounds like someone may have tipped him/her off. That reduces the likelihood of identification greatly. That's to bad. I was hoping for the best outcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 02:53 am:

You people keep talking about the local authorities investigating this? You mean the local authorities still investigate simple thefts where you live? I don't know about cities in Southern Califunny, but most Northern Califunny cities make little if any effort to investigate any simple theft, even if it is well into felony levels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 07:38 am:

I know what you mean Wayne, the broke into my shop and took about $80,000 worth of tools and equipment. They even left behind the crowbar they used to break in... and The Authorities... would not even check it for prints.. just did a report and told me I could pick up a copy in 5 to 7 days.. and that was that...It was like my problem was too small to worry about...

And before anyone ask... no I did not have insurance on my garage. So I had to eat it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 10:16 am:

Thank the voters and the politicians. The passage of prop 47 and 57 by the voters and AB 109 pretty much set the stage for a massive increase in criminal activity. All in the name of reducing the prison population. Hell, in most counties, Jerry Brown and the legislators won't even allow local law enforcement to contact the federal authorities when they have a prior deported felony in their custody who is being released under these mandates. Makes one wonder why we even have law enforcement any more. Not what I signed up for. That's why I'm leaving the state in a few more years. Truly a shame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

Mark C, So that is why you are selling off so much of your stuff! You are planning to leave the state, and don't want to have to move it all.
I think I would do that if I could figure out a way to pull it off. An old financial "catch 22". Too broke to figure a way to put it together. There are 40 acres of Nevada high desert that are looking better and better. Maybe living in a tent wouldn't be so bad after all?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

Yes, I have two years to liquidate most of my collection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

Any word about recovery? Which coilbox was it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

I sold Red the coil box a couple of years ago. He had the coils rebuilt. Sure hope he gets it back. It's a 1909 Kingston.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration