Besides enjoying the fun and games on the forum today I did manage to make a hood handle. I could have begged a good one from a forum member but I didn't need a good one.
I started by making a template of tape. This gave me the overall sizes. Then I cut some 16 ga. stock to approximate size.
Then I cut the inside shape of the handle from 3/8 bar. After bending the 16 ga. to fit the shape I pressed the stock into a u-channel made of bar and key stock clamped together. A deeper form was made of plywood with maple ends. A furniture clamp kept the maple from pushing out of place.
By now the handle had some serious wrinkles. Clamping it in a vise and heating the high spots let me tap them flush with the form. I still have some finish work to do and some holes to drill.
I wasn't sure how any of this would work. I use hand hacksaws and files. Chatting on the forum gives me a chance to rest and think a little.
All in all, it was a good day.
Wow nice work. Looks great. Tim
Thank you for sharing Rich.
I am always impressed by your work!
You are a real craftsman! I would have looked for another hood. You saved money, you saved a hood, and you gained the satisfaction of your workmanship.
Looks great! And thank you for sharing how you did it.
Hap l9l5 cut off
Rich, Nice job!!! You did good.
I knew the moment I read the tread title, it was you!
I have made a lot of small parts, and been very happy with my results. Many of those were years ago, before there was an internet to share them on. NONE of what I had done, has ever come close to the results you have achieved on several of your projects!
I bow to the master.
As one fabricator to another, I bow to your mastery....God issued you a great set of hands!
Great result! Thanks for showing your methods on the forum
One more picture shows the poor little handle in the plywood/maple form. The item got off-center somewhere in the process but there was enough extra width to allow trimming to correct this. I would hope this demonstration might encourage some folks to try to make some things. By starting with simple parts you can increase your abilities. It can be time well spent and is rewarding. Taking pictures along the way is good reference.
Thank you for sharing your process
For Gary and Rich, hands are handy, but it's what's between your ears that counts. Rich has been amazing me with stuff like this for 55 years !
Is your press tool driver a Model A rear brake camshaft?
Correct Walter. It was convenient for something 25 years ago and works just right often. If you have enough stuff cluttering up the place something close at hand will work. I have a nice spatula that I use for upholstery.
Rich, here's to another 55 years. Y
Right you are. The pile of old shafts, bearing races, and tubing around my arbor press is getting so big that I can hardly get to it.
Add icing spatulas to your arsenal. They are super handy.
Richard,you are a master! Having seen your photos of the process,I know now why I prefer woodwork!
Allan from down under.
Here you see the new handle riveted to my ugly old hood. It is close enough to the original one above it. Also shown is one hood clip (as I call it) installed. 2 of the originals escaped and the remaining 2 were nearly gone and had lost their hook shape. I decided to make 4 new ones. It took 3 hours to produce a workable setup to form the hook part. Sometimes nothing works right and tools and pieces disappear only to reappear in spots I had already looked for them in. Finally like a light turning on the process started working.
Where the clips pulled out was a hole that had to be patched. I riveted some .040 thick aluminum in place and then riveted the new clips to it. I don't have a convenient supply or source for rivets. Rather than ordering some I make my own from welding rod. I have to "set" one end of the rivet anyway so why not both ends. The items on the red vice are a new rivet in a holder, a new rivet, a real rivet set and a homemade rivet set.
One of the leather retainers was missing so I also made one of them from the .040 Aluminum. It formed fairly easily.
Saving this hood is probably taking as much time as it would to made a proper hood without lovers for my '14. I made my '09 hood and it turned out well. The work on this is allowing me to learn and try some new things. It just seems to be what I want to do right now.
P. S. I have purchased new hoods for several cars and have been very happy with them.
You continue to amaze!
Followed by a little comment. I thought I was the only one crazy enough to make my own rivets!
I always enjoy seeing your work. The tooling you make to get the job done is always as impressive as your finished product!
Thanks again for sharing, looking forward to seeing the touring together.
Well Rich, I guess we all have to admit now that 'You're in the 'hood!"
Neat stuff you post, always amazed at all the stuff you get done and still have time to post! OTOH, I'm on dial-up. . . .
Wayne, I miss the day when you could buy nearly any size rivet locally. Many years ago the guy at the old hardware store told me they had just taken all their rivets to the scrap yard. I missed out on them. They can be bought but it is hard to think ahead as to what size you need and then wait for shipping. I machined some aluminum ones from 1/4" stock where appropriate.
I was pleased to find .040 alum. sheet, 1/4" alum. rod as well as 1/4" and 3/8" round stainless stock at one store here in town. Several stores open up from time to time with a variety of items. When they find no one buys them they are gradually discontinued.
I am glad some find these projects interesting or amusing. It is fun for me to see what others are doing and how they do it.