Bosch distributor rebuilder or part numbers needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Bosch distributor rebuilder or part numbers needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

I just bought the distributor pictured below. Unfortunately, it is missing the points, rotor, cap, and the condenser is most likely shot (removed in seller's picture above). Does anyone know if there are any reproductions of these parts available? Is there anybody who specializes in rebuilding original early Bosch distributors?
James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

Do you have the camshaft gear for it?
The condenser is easy to substitute (get one that matches the coil you plan to use). If you are going 12 volt, realize that most 12 volt point ignitions don't actually work on 12 volts. There is a "ballast resistor " in the circuit, so get the one that matches the coil you use

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

Camshaft gear is there and good.

I just checked Lang's and Chaffin's and neither one carries the correct cap, rotor, and points (unless I can use the newer VW cap, points, and rotor).
I'm still trying to figure out the best coil to use and will match the condenser accordingly.

Am I correct in presuming that it is an automatic advance unit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Looks like auto advance I do not see the tab for rod but it could be broke off. No on the VW parts, no fit. Did the seller take out the points and mounting plate? Or do you have the cup with them installed? All the Model 600 type vintage Bosch type distributors should use the same cap, points and rotor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clyde Gibson on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

Call 417-864-7348. He should have everything you need. I have one on my T and He has the parts I need also the Dist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

Mark,
The points mounting plate is there with the vertical pivot shaft, but the points themselves are gone.
Thank you for the model number. Now I know what to google. Glad I'm not the only one who can't find the tab.

Clyde, I will give him a call tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom VanMeeteren Valley, Nebraska on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

I have everything for this dist too. All NOS 402-359-5762 or tsvanmeet@gmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

I called. He doesn't know what a Model 600 even is.
James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

Just spoke with Tom. He has all NOS and it may bankrupt me.
If anyone has any used parts, let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brass TT on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 06:01 am:

You are far better off to clean this up, paint it nicely and screw it to your shed wall. Then go and dish out the cash for one of the new front drive distributors with the new(er) VW gizzards. If you get keen, you can then buy a new-fangled pointsless electronic kit for that and you are set for trouble-free motoring.
The old stuff is past it. They stopped makin bits for them 60/70years ago. I have boxes of them - Bosch, Kent, Atwater, Briggs and others, all the same issue.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration