OT? - New torches

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT? - New torches
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

Gathering safest/best info. Just acquired a new set of 'oxy-ace' torches. Was getting ready to wrap the brass threads with teflon tape, then got a "Whoa!" in the back of whatever mind I have left.... Seem to recall (somehow) 'THAT' is not a recommended thing to do. I know, "Just a dumb question", but better safe than sorry. Anyone? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 12:08 am:

No teflon tape. I've seen it done but not needed on compression fittings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 01:01 am:

Plus, the teflon can be drawn into the stream flow and mess up the equipment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 01:05 am:

Teflon tape is SO yesterday ! C'mon, Marv. Keep up with fashion. You are embarrassing us !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 01:13 am:

Just don't lubricate the threads for a oxygen fitting - it can start a fire from oxidation :o

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 01:25 am:

-Burger- (And guys)
Appreciate the input!! Guess I've done too many 'plumbing handyman' jobs, and the past lessons were ready to carry over. But, it just didn't seem 'right' on brass... Thanks to all. (I'll sleep better!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brass TT on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 06:14 am:

It is supposed to be ball / taper in conical seat that make the gas tight joint. The threaded bits are just there to hold the 2 parts of the joint together. Teflon, hemp or ceelon tape may do more harm than good as the threads will tighten prematurely. Great for water, oil, compressed air but not combustible gasses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 07:32 am:

I worked at a hardware store as a teenager. I wouldn't take a million dollars for what I learned there. No sealant of any kind needed (Or in my opinion, even wanted) on compression fittings or flare fittings. The sealing takes place on a metal to metal joint. The threads are not designed to seal, nor will they. If there's a leak at the actual sealing surface, it's coming on out, thread tape (Or pipe dope), or not.

I bought a new refrigerator from Lowes. The guys delivered it and went to connect the ice maker and started putting thread tape on the connection. I told them not to. They told me they HAD to. I told them to forget it. I'll connect it. They told me that would void my warranty. I don't believe that, but I don't want to have to fight it, either. So long as they didn't get it in the area where the ferrule goes, I guess it will be OK. It DOES make me wonder about the management that makes such policies.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration