Frame sag straightened without body removal.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Frame sag straightened without body removal.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 11:58 pm:

Hi so with the advice of "Father" John Tannehill and my 14 year old son we were able to straighten Shirley's frame using 4 x 4 timbers, chains and a bottle jack. We did not take the body off. See the planning discussion thread here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/753776.html?1495333835 The key is that you can sight down the beams from the front of the car or the back and fairly clearly see the deflection without having to use a string or take the body off. Shirley's frame was bent at the hogshead ears which is where the weight is. So we took the body bolt nuts off, took off the radiator support rod to let it flex upward. The first try in the picture did not work because there was not enough leverage. Also don't use a block of wood 4 inch side on the ram like that in the picture because it will roll with the force. The 2 inch side of the wood block will keep the ram from denting the frame and won't roll so much. So we took the front fenders and radiator off put the chain around the beam at the front, then put the other chain equidistant from the hogshead ears and jacked it up with the bottle jack. The second time worked. The frame straightened enough. The hood and the doors fit now.

Bottle jack frame straightening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 06:42 am:

Great that it worked :-)

Did you loosen up some bolts to make it easier to overbend the frame to make it stay in the right place? (I would have disconnected at least the front body to frame joints and the radiator to firewall rod.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Roger, Um, if you read the text above he states that they took loose the body bolts, and pulled the radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

Sorry, got to have rushed too fast through that, still great to see that the method worked :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

Yes, removed the nuts on the body bolts I also unbolted the firewall mount brackets so it could flex upward freely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

Yse, good to see it worked.I would have also put a hardwood block inside the frame rails to keep them from closing in any.
I once had to squeeze a front crossmember after the frame was done because the radiator mounting studs were too far apart. used a chain and a come-a-long and afterwards the front fenders were level with each other!! Got two birds with one pull!
(skeet joke, "PULL!!" BAM!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 01:03 am:

When I built my shop, imbedded steel eyes in the floor to secure a frame during the straightening process. I put enough eyes in the floor so I can also pull forward and side ways to square up a frame. They have proven to be very handy when straightening frames

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 02:44 am:

I love success stories! Thank you. and congratulations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 10:19 am:

Good job Ignacio

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 12:07 am:

That's just cool.
Like Dave Gingery said to Keith K. and I many years ago. "If it works, that's the right way to do it."

"The hood and the doors fit now."
This. This.

Surely, she appreciates this and don't call me Shirley... :-) You'd be one of the few that would get this I think.
You rock Mr Valdes!
Plus hints of speedometers...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 01:32 am:

Duane, and in the background we hear the sound of props but it's a Jet. . . .
:-)
Good ol' Yankee ingenuity.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration