Speedometer photos for Ignacio...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Speedometer photos for Ignacio...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 10:26 am:

...and anybody else who wants to look. Rather than hunting up all the pictures wherever the subject comes up, I've put them together on a new web page: http://www.dauntlessgeezer.com/DG105.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 04:41 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

Nicely done sir!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 05:41 pm:

I like where you mention the rear wheel. For whatever reason, I never thought of that.

Might be easier to mount a magnet to a drum (maybe by epoxy) and make the bracket off the spring perch mount stud or just drill a tiny hole or two in the backing plate for the sensor bracket bolt to.

That might help protect the wiring a little better being on the rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 08:21 pm:

Very good show Govnur!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 01:57 am:

Steve, and Duey here is my try: I mounted the sensor on the rear wheel brake bolt using some hurricane strap. About 4 inches of hurricane strap bent just the right way so far works. It already had a perfect hole size. I cut it with metal shears no problem, no welding, no drilling. Painted it black. I kerfed the edges a little and bent them in so hopefully the pickup and zip ties won't slide off. I ran the wire from the computer to the pickup in the c of the frame along side the rear light. The sensor and wheel magnet went on with zip ties shown in the picture So far so good. I will let you know how durable it is and if the magnet slides around on the spoke.

measure once.
measure once.
Mount.
Finished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

I installed a bicycle speedometer several years ago, with excellent results. I mounted the reed relay[ pickup unit] on a short bracket clamped to the right rear wishbone and a larger magnet on one of the four bolts that hold the demount able rims to the wheel. This avoided the problem with the steering wheels. The unit is somewhat sensitive to electromagnet interference from the coils so I used 2 conductor shielded cable and grounded the shield at only one end. Use your imagination and enjoy a very accurate instrument. Brad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

Try a bicycle GPS speedometer. You can get one on eBay for about $65 and it works great. I mount mine with Velcro on the left of my windshield. I can remove it when I park my car or move it from car to car. Complete with odometer, elapsed time, (calories burned??!!)small, accurate, wireless, rechargeable, no muss no fuss. Works perfectly!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

Thanks John, I can just use my cellphone Speedometer app but I often want to use the cellphone for something else and it lags in reporting the speed. These speedos cost very little and it didn't take much to install it.

Hey! I tried it today going to church, worked great. The wire run seems very protected so I expect the wires to stay intact. The car drew a crowd today after church. So much fun. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

John, for those that may not want to make a bracket and run wires, after the purchase of a GPS speedometer does a person need a subscription or anything? Or is it simply buy it, charge it up and use it indefinitely?

Ignacio. That install is just as simple as all get-out. I love it!

I've had a piece of that strapping right out back, laying in the same place for 16 years.
I just got up to go look for it and of course it's gone. Someone moved it, prob'ly me... Ugh.
:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration