Wiring question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wiring question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George schmidt on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

I'm in need of advice on the wiring of the new 12 volt alternator for my 12 volt system.

First, this barn find has been converted to 12 volts but did not have a generator or alternator , just ran off the battery.

The current wiring, as shown in the attached photo, is not the norm but has been working great, along with the performance of the truck. I put in a 30 amp fuse on the battery lead. The lite switch is a simple pull out type and a key switch, works as a kill switch.
My questions :
1. Were do I connect the yellow lead from the alternator to the wiring as shown on the fire wall.

2. Were would I connect my Ammeter correctly?

Wiring

Switch type

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George schmidt on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 10:40 am:

X

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 10:47 am:

You do have a standard car battery, right?

Your ammeter will go in the battery lead, so the first thing the battery goes through is the ammeter. The lead from the alternator will go on other side of the ammeter, on the opposite lead of where the battery connects.

I'm an electrical guru, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 11:07 am:

That and this

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/470763.html?1408075022

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 03:23 pm:

Here is a diagram of how it should all be connected. We discussed the wire going to the starter switch, and I talked about how I ran mine straight to the battery. No need to change the way you have yours set up. Ts were like yours when they came from the factory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey Bowen on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

Wiring diagram

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

Just so as not to confuse new people. The diagram above is commonly used to show wiring of a typical late Model T but the battery horn was not offered on the T until about March of 1922 so the above diagram is should be labeled 1922-1927. I should also point out there are only 2 solid yellow heavy 12 GA wires used in the charging path while there are 3 other 12 GA wires that are Yellow/black tracer that are used in the charge path. Only one of the wires to the ammeter is solid yellow and goes to terminal 3 of the terminal block. The other ammeter wire is NOT solid Yellow as shown but is Yellow/black Tracer and goes to the BAT terminal on the ignition switch. I am being picky but some people get their hands on that short Yellow/black link wire and don't know where it goes because the above diagram shows it as being solid yellow - it is't solid yellow - it is Yellow/Black tracer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey Bowen on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

Sorry I posted the incorrect picture. Blame Ron Patterson, I stole it from him. Ha Ha.

Wiring

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration