Rebuilding clutch driven plate

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rebuilding clutch driven plate
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 03:25 am:

I have a new brake drum riveted to an excellent shaft and it runs absolutely true. However, I cannot fund a used clutch driven plate anywhere near the same diameter is the brake drum. Has any one of you ever rebuilt the outside diameter with weld/something and machined it to suit a brake drum?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 03:35 am:

Allan are you sure you don't have a `15 brake drum and a 26 clutch plate?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

If the register diameters are not a tight fit, you will never get the tail shaft to run true when its assembled. In cases like this, I bolt the driven plate on the brake drum using 3 bolts just snug, and with the brake drum running true in a lathe and then tap the driven plate around until it runs true. I then tighten he bolts, check it again, and then move the assembly over to the mill and then drill and ream the assembly for 3 1/16 dowel pins in the area of the spot face for the other three bolts. A bit of work, but sometimes its the only solution. I would not start welding or brazing things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

Dan, we usually set up the two components as you suggest and dial in the runout to get the best fit. Often it takes a light skim in the lathe to get the best result. The problem here is the difference in the diameter of the two, the used driven plate being worn down.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

Get Dave Huson to send you a good one. I don't think they are rare in the USA.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration