Priming Wires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Priming Wires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 10:36 am:

I would like to add additional information that I have regarding priming wires (rods). Recently I was able to obtain a lot of NOS parts, and among them were three NOS priming wires. This subject has been covered before by John Regan and others, but I would like to add my observation. First, there is no guarantee these are NOS. What I mean is they could be NORS. How can you put a Ford script on a wire? The Ford print says the late wires have a 1 1/16 loop, and the wire is wound around 1 1/2 turns. Here is really the way they are: The loops on all three of these are 1" even, and wound around a full two turns on each one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 11:31 am:

Interesting Larry. Thank you

When I saw the lead, my first thoughts were either;
Dynamite
Or
Painting wires

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

It is better than saying choke wires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

What I find interesting on this Forum is the amount of worthless nonsense, (in my opinion)! I try to post information which I find informative, and actually has something to do with Model T's, and there is little interest.
The information found on the Ford prints is a good example of what Ford engineers planned for the parts used for the Model T, BUT, those prints are not always what the part turned out to be. The example I posted above is a fine example. End of rant!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

Did the print also state the wire gauge? If you're going to rant, at least give us the complete info. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

I am with Larry. It would be a lot less confusing if all of us used the part names in the parts books. For further clarification we could describe or give the part #.
Yes here is my confession, I too call pieces other than the parts book names as they are often not intuitive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 05:48 pm:

Larry, this place is more like the corner saloon than a meeting of serious, informed types. I for one great appreciate your factual and interesting posts. Please continue with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

You can view a double twist and single twist NOS or NORS that my dad picked up 65 years ago in this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/577580.html?1444577159

Who knows if these are Ford factory issue or aftermarket???? I have never measured the diameter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 07:11 pm:

Stephen and others,

According to John Regan's article, the wire diameter is 3/32".

http://www.funprojects.com/pdf/ARCFX9.pdf

Larry, I very much appreciate your tenacity and the topics of original Model T parts and designs. But understand not everyone here has to have a 100% correct as built Model T. I try to correct obvious stuff on mine, or add fine details such as your battery box, but mine will never be 100% OE as it was built from pieces. But I do try at least.

I also find some do follow certain topics with great interest, but don't post to it. That doesn't mean we are not interested. I think the method of keeping the posts lively goes alot farther with people, vs. being strict like Sunday school for posts (which to me is how some of this seems at times). But that is my opinion.

Keep up the great work on your research none the less, I do enjoy the read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

I had that PDF on file but forgot about it.

That's 13ga. US Standard (obsolete).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 11:13 am:

I just measured the one I bought. It is .096" dia wire, and is painted black, which makes sense if this is the way Ford did them in 1927. That is very close to 3/32",

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 04:08 pm:

I have several NOS choke wires and they are not painted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

For what its worth. Many parts that were shipped to dealers for parts inventory, may have had a different finish than parts used on the assembly line. I know this was true in the '60s. No telling when this started at Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, June 23, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

According to John Regan's research, only the '27 ones were painted. The '17-'26 ones were raven finished, and earlier ones were copper-coated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Scholz on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 02:51 am:

when I first started playing around with my T (some 70 years ago, I believe it had a brass
wire on the choke. I do remember changing it to using a brass brazing rod. Works fine, stays
nice and straight, and most folks don't know the difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 03:06 am:

That's funny Larry, as soon as I read your post I went out and measured mine, the loop is also 1" dia. even and I know it's a repro, because it's not copper plated steel, but brass and also has 2 full winds on it too. My guess is they're also repro's, better ones than mine, but still repro's...probably from around the early 70's, that's when I got mine. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 11:04 am:

I had a NOS priming wire years ago that was raven, but it has been misplaced. The one I have now is painted black. I have two more, so I'll have to check them. My original post was in regards to the diameter of the loop which according to Regans research is 1 1/16". The one I have is 1" even. The point I was trying to make is the final product is not always exactly like the print. I almost failed to mention the wire is wound around in back of the loop two full turns.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

I just went through my pile, and found a raven priming wire. It is exactly like the painted one with a 1" loop and two turns in back. I know I get kind of anal on this stuff, but that's what makes it fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

Bump to get rid of the spam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 03:22 pm:

Spam seems to be winning !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

keep trying :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

there are more of us than the bad ones ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, June 26, 2017 - 03:58 pm:

I attempted to find a p/n for the priming wire (rod) for my '25. It is nowhere to be found. I checked Bruces master parts list, and well as the 1925 & 1927 parts books I have, and nothing! While I was at it I happened to run into the early battery boxes used in 1919 and 1920, but I won't get into that! The actual length of the original I plan to use is 27" even, and this is for an N.H. carburetor.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration