Time to peen the ujoint pin

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Time to peen the ujoint pin
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

I've read all I could find on peening the ujoint pin. I like the idea of screwing a 1/2 fine thread bolt in against one side then switching sides to finish the job. My question is what is best to use, a pointed punch or a chisel struck and then turned 90 degrees and hit again? Or something else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

I use a pointed punch inboard from the edge a bit then using the edge of the hole as a guide, "hammer drift" the head of the pin - I pre-pein one end of the new pin prior to installing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

I used an alignment punch with a 5/16 end.
Those pins are wonderfully soft and peen over real easy and nice! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

A spindle bolt is the exact right size to screw in on the opposite side to hold it in place while peening. As brother Duey says they are not so hard to peen. I used a big flat punch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 12:26 am:

There used to be an aftermarket company that sold a rivet that was the exact size as the u-joint pin. It makes installation a breeze. Too bad someone doesn't make them again.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration