Thread seal, gas leak

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Thread seal, gas leak
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

A very slight gas leak where sediment bulb threads into tank.
Don't want to force and overtighten, thinking that the soldered threaded bushing in the tank may dislodge/distort/separate causing a big headache.
Do you recommend plumber's Teflon tape?
Other recommendations?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

Get a tube of EZ Turn gas sealant used in Aviation, I think most T suppliers sells it. Seals up leaks in a jiffy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

Jay,

I just used an Ace Hardware product this week called “Pipe Thread Stick” to seal the threads on the sediment bulb where it screws into the gas tank as well as the petcock at the bottom of the sediment bulb. You apply it liberally to the male threads, install the part and let it sit overnight. It has not leaked or oozed any gas from these connections since. I am very pleased with it so far. I also used some on the threads of the drain plug for the oil pan with similar results. This product says it can be used for gasoline, oil, water, steam, propane, butane, ammonia, etc.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

A bar of soap also works well.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 08:08 pm:

Thanks to all for your recommendations.
I'll go get the Ace Pipe Thread Stick.
The store is very close to my house and it is still open now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 11:51 pm:

Interesting.
Let us know how it works out, would you Jay?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration