Rear axle and bearings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear axle and bearings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 02:46 am:

I've had the rear axle out of Henry long enough, and I'm trying to gather the parts I need to put him back together again. I have yet to put together a complete list of what is needed, but I know I need new bearings as the old ones literally fell apart. Where is the best place to find good bearings?

We've had Henry for about 2 years, but I'm still new to T's. If there's anything that anybody would recommend replacing (I already have the thrust washers on the list) I will gladly accept any advice and helpful hints.

Thanks,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Duquette Grand Forks, ND on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 07:33 am:

Luke, I'm wrapping up my first axle rebuild on a 25 Touring. Instead of listing the parts you need my advice is get the Chaffin/mtfca book on front and rear axles and read it. Watch the Jelf's you tube axle rebuild video, and look at the great new and stored information on this forum. The Fun Projects pinion set up, good used Hyatt bearings with new sleeves, new thrust washers all around helped too. And know when to walk out of the shop instead of finding a bigger hammer is always good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 08:21 am:

I'm rebuilding the axle in my '21 now. I kept putting it off as long as I could. I could have taken the first drive weeks ago but dreaded this part of the restoration. I just finished the driveshaft, using the original bearing and sleeve set up. I have a good tight u-joint and zero end play. Now to see how it goes with the rear axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 09:30 am:

The inner hyatt bearings are often still good, even if the outer ones are bad. Get a used set of inner bearings, use either them or your own if over .496 or so diameter, and new sleeves, for both the inner and outer bearings. Some of the new sleeves seem a little thicker and take up slack. I don't suggest using the new solid bearings as they seem not to last as long.
Yes, get the book and watch Steve Jelf's video

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 09:54 am:

Some observations;
1. The "solid roller" bearings seem to be OK for inboard service
2. The "cartridge style " bearings have been associated with some bad experiences. If not fully locked to the axle, then catastrophic axle failure has been known to happen. So caution is suggested
3. The " floating outboard " bearings seem to be quite successful, but do require modification of the axle tubes.
I decline to make specific recommendations

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 11:41 am:

I know axle tubes need to be checked for bent, but I've not read (of have forgotten I read it) an easy way to test for straight. So could someone post how that's done? Does it require a large lathe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

A rough way to test the axle for straightness can be done when the differential with axles are fitted in the axle housings with only the inner bearings in place. Check how good the axles are centered in the outer ends of the housing - bend the axles in different directions and measure if they can be bent to the same distance from the housing all around. If properly centered it's likely the housing is reasonably straight.

But making a fixture for measuring the halves in a large lathe would give a better way to measure and straighten them if needed. It's more often needed on 1914 and earlier axles that weren't as rugged as the 1915-27 designs. And the pre '16:s are rarer and thus worth straightening - for later axles it's still cheaper / easier to find a better pair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 01:53 pm:

I am behind because of my job but my 26 needs to be built. I am a bit apprehensive to build I t myself because I have seen some real messes on learners on here and I don't have a core housing. But it's on the list for the summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 11:45 pm:

"If there's anything that anybody would recommend replacing I will gladly accept any advice and helpful hints."

Luke, I would start with a complete disassembly and cleaning. Then make an assessment of what you have to work with,then proceed from there. Andy Loso, Bob Bergstadt, Glen Chaffin and Lang's are excelent sources of good used Ford parts. I used a combination of used, NOS, and new parts on my rebuild I did last Winter. No problems so far. Unfortunately I had to replace nearly everything. Hopefully you will have better luck.

The job itself is pretty straight forward,but it can have it's challenges. Fortunately if you have any questions, and or issues there is plenty of help available on the forum.

Please keep us posted...... Oh, nice C cab by the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 01:00 am:

To check housings for straightness, see Page 27 in the MTFCA axle book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 09:18 am:

Les Schubert:

I have personal and absolute proof that the solid roller bearings are NOT fit for inboard use. Both sides of a rear end had them on the inboard sides and the cage portion of those solid rollers rubbed a very deep groove in the axle and this occurred on both sides of the center differential case. It was extremely lucky that the axles didn't break before the rear end was disassembled to be rebuilt and the unknown issue was revealed. Both axles were ruined.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 10:14 am:

John
I can't dispute your experience. It is at odds with my experience and observations though
Have a nice day

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration