Ideas for homemade hogs head oil scoop

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ideas for homemade hogs head oil scoop
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 11:30 am:

I did a google search to see what was posted about the hogs head oil scoop and all I found was; the type with the castings as sold by dealers, magneto contact type and Bendix cover type. Does anyone have any photos to share or info on making your own?
If the ideas posted are not doable for me then I will get the castings for $30 but sure am not going to pay and extra $50-55 for the plumbing. I thought about the Bendix cover type but with all the hills, seems to me that while there might be good feed on the flat but if the outlet tube opening gets higher then the inlet, that the flow might be impeded. The ones I have seen photos of don't look to have much of a drop from the bottom of the can to side of the pan. ?

(Message edited by redmodelt on June 17, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Kahle on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 11:58 am:

Mark, I'm sure it won't fit your budget but you might find it interesting or get a few ideas from the posts relative to my "no modification oil pump and filter" from a few days ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

Find a piece of steel pipe about 1/2" diameter. Drill an angled hole in the hogshead with the same diameter in line with the flywheel.
Braze the pipe in place so it sticks down just a little right over the flywheel and sticks out at least an inch from the hogshead. Make another fitting with the same diameter for the front of the oil pan. Buy some good quality rubber hose and a couple of hose clamps that fits. Ready!

You'll be amazed of the amount of oil that flows at any rpm over idle :-)

I have an alu hogshead on my primitive pickup that I didn't want to weld in, so I used the magneto pickup hole - but since I haven't got any magnetos on the flywheel I could use the full diameter of the hole. I made a deflector inside that directs oil from the flywheel to my oil hose fitting - and it flowed really good when I checked :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

In the past did not Terry Horlick make a home made unit and post a lot of pictures of it here on the forum? My memory is terrible but doing a search of his name might bring something up......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 01:47 pm:

Mark - have you considered the "Ford Faithful" type of accessory oiler ? I'm not a big fan of molesting original parts like the hogshead. I run Ford Faithful oiler on our 5 T's and we're as hilly up here as you are down there !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 02:02 pm:

Going by name does not work, got error message. Found this one posting;
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/330715.html?1356764867

Go down to Dec, 28 4:10 posting by Dan Treace.

If anyone can post a link to Terry's setup that would be great, I need ideas. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

Home made outside oiler.

Remove the porcelain from Champion XX plug,

Find hose or large tubing to fit into the plug. Cutaway the end of the plug to make a 'scoop'.

Drill hole in side of hogshead, tap with 1/2 pipe thread. Add an angled fitting to lower side up near the front of the crankcase, and oil will pour into the crankcase!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

I knew those crappy Champions would be good for some thing! :-) LOL

Dan the 2ed photo is what you showed in the the link above. I like it! Somewhat the same idea as Roger's but without the brazing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

If you call Birdhaven, they will sell you the individual pieces.
Bill is a good guy to deal with.
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

Thank you Dan. I will give Birdhaven a call next week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 11:25 pm:

I have posted this method earlier this year. Same a the method Roger suggested.
oil pickup

pick up 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 01:16 am:

I made mine as a scoop on the trans door
Just curved tin sealed on 3 sides with a tube sealed through the trans door

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 01:40 am:

Terry Horlick's setup turned out to be one of the out there and is carried by most of the vendors. I have that setup on my engine. Spoke with Terry at the Bakersfield Swap a few years ago and he said it puts out enough pressure that you could put a filter inline and it would still move plenty of oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 01:42 am:

That should read best out there.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration