Great day for a drive!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Great day for a drive!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

Drove 3 hours to visit with Jim Sims up in Michigan. I met Jim last year when I was in need of a 26 tank. I was on my way to the U.P. last year so was not much time to visit. I was pretty impressed with Jims fleet of Ts. I really like the closed cab pickup he built. Fast forward till today. I was in need of a coil box and he had one. Good excuse to go see him and talk him into a ride. Radar showed rain when I left so the ride would probably have to wait. I was there visiting about an hour and it was not raining. Jim said we had better do something before it rained again. He asked if I wanted to dive his 25 coupe!!! Now I was hoping for a ride to see how he drove the car and how it sounded and all the little details that I had nothing to compare mine to. This is the 1st time I have been in another T beside mine. I said I just wanted to ride. He thew me on the ground and twisted my arm really hard!!! No, just kidding. It didnt take any twisting. What a great experience! What a great guy. I soaked up as much knowledge as I could. He has 6 and drives them all. I came home with the confidence to try a generator rebuild and a better idea of what mine is supposed to run and feel like. I know they all are different but at least a baseline. I have called Jim before with problems and his knowledge is unbelievable. I also came home with some TT parts and other bits that I needed.(spotloght will be working soon). All in all it was a great day of T talk and learning on my part. Thanks Jim!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 08:08 pm:

Forgot the photo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

Dallas,
Thanks for sharing. Good times are hard to come by these days. Nice looking T as well.
Cheers,
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Paul, it really made my day. That little coupe is like a caddy compared to my roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

Dallas,
Any pictures of your T ?
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 09:15 pm:

"Great day for a drive!"

Wish it was so here. Here's a snapshot of my weather station software just a couple of hours ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

Wow That's all I can say WOW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

Was a cool 102 F here in Modesto today. Forecasts for the next 5 days float between 105 F and 109 F. I think I'll stay in where it's cool. The TT will wait a few days until it slacks off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 09:44 pm:

Paul, this is the 26 earning its keep on the farm. Stephen I lived in Coolidge AZ. for a couple years. "Its a dry heat" Ya! Its smokin hot. I feel for you. Maybe you will do the same for me in Feburary?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 02:05 am:

You wimps don't know heat. Go spend a summer in Helmand Province !
This photo was taken about 0830hrs in early June as we passed the front
gate to go out on mission. The thermometer was pegged at 130 by early
morning every day from May to October, never dipping below 110 at night.
Put on 60lbs. of gear for any outside-the-wire mission ... puts a whole new
meaning to what heat feels like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 02:47 am:

You dog you, Dallas!
You got to drive that sweet little coupe? Awesome!
You lucky skank. I mean that in the best possible way and you know that. :-)
What a difference a nice T makes!
Some of us up here in Minnesota would drop like flies in heat like that. :-/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 02:51 am:

Dallas, I wish we would have had time, I would have been glad to have all three of you guys take a drive in our old '25 "beater" coupe. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

It's gonna get up to 75 here today or 115 inland a few miles. I never knew anything about the coast living in Iowa but love it now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

Living on the coast of Iowa is a life of constant struggle. Weather, wombats,
and wild-eyed pistol wavers ! It's crazy out there !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

David ,thats a sweet little coupe you have. Wish the same thing.
Duane that is a very smooth running coupe Jim has. I could hardly hear it run. Shoot I can hardly hear mine run, the rattles and squeeks make so much noise on the dirt roads I have to stop to see if its running.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

Hahaha! Now that's funny!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

Damn, Dallas .... ain't that the truth ! Is there such thing
as a quiet Model T (in terms of rattles and squeaks) ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

Dallas,
Sorry for the delay. Great picture of the T
Thanks for sharing.
PS Who the hell wants to live in a place that
is 130 by 8;30 in the morning.. JUST SAYING

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

Although all of us volunteered to go, I don't think AFG was our idea
of a "destination getaway" ! And if the summers were inferno hot, the
winters were ungodly cold. At one camp, our elevation was 13,000
feet. Naturally, I was sent there in JANUARY, and NOT August !!!! It
was a whole different kind of hell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 12:09 am:

Yeah, but it's a "dry" heat. Hahahahahahahaha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 01:17 am:

Oh boy, was it a dry heat !

When I stepped off the bird at Kandahar (30 Sept, 2010) the heat was
like when you open the oven to see if the turkey is done. It took your
breath away. I looked around for a thermometer after I in-processed to
put "a number" to the heat I was feeling. Finally found one. It read 139 !!!

Fall and spring are actually beautiful in AFG. Bright, clear skies, the
temps are pleasant, but you KNOW what is coming, so you try to enjoy
it for the brief time it lasts. When summer of 2011 arrived, I reported
for duty at Camp Dwyer in Helmand Province. Even though I was acclimated
to the heat by this time, going to Helmand was like doing it all over again.
I searched high and low for a thermometer that read higher than 130 and
could not find one. Finally came upon the idea of an oven thermometer.
The chow hall manager gave me one in appreciation for work we did for
him. In conditions hard to get the proverbial "proper, in-the-shade" reading,
it routinely reached 155 each day all summer and it was like that all the
way through September.

Everyone was "sick" from the heat. You enjoyed a perpetual case of
nausea, like someone just punched you in the stomach. It only went away
when you slept or stepped out of the shower. Our uniforms were perpetually
soaked from sweat. We drank 16-18 litres of water a day and had to track
it on a notepad.

As a sort of funny irony, when I had the occasion to fly back to Kandahar,
it felt cool and pleasant ! I will NEVER complain about heat or cold again !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration