Clutch finger too tight?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Clutch finger too tight?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

I have a freshly rebuilt engine and I am trying to figure out how to find neutral (I know a very tired subject. I have no neutral at the moment. I have disconnected the yoke that connects the low band and the clutch so I took the low band out of the equation and with the hand brake lever pulled all the way back (or in the middle where neutral is supposed to be) the engine is still engaged. Should I loosen the fingers on the clutch 1/2 turn and see what happens? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 11:25 pm:

Alex, it will be impossible to achieve a free neutral with that yoke disconnected. Re-install the yoke and then carefully follow the directions on this chart...Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 11:36 pm:

Hi John, Thanks for the chart. Yes I understand that the low pedal must also be disengaged with the hand brake lever in the center, but if the low pedal is disconnected therefore leaving the drum free, with the hand brake lever in the center or fully pulled back it should still give you neutral. Correct? I don't think you can find free neutral if the clutch is improperly adjusted?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

sounds like you need to adjust the clutch fingers to get started;
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/461201.html?1405692926

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 12:45 am:

Alex, do me a favor and call me tomorrow am and I will walk you through it, I just did this on a friend's car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 02:12 am:

Thanks Spencer, I think I figured it out. I turned the clutch fingers out 1/2 turn each and I also adjusted the clevis to the 1/16 play and it seems like its working as it should

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 09:52 am:

Alex, Did you read the info in the link I posted? Or were the fingers adjusted and just need a little adjustment?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration