Thickness of axle sleeves

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Thickness of axle sleeves
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Sebaugh in Jackson, Missouri on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 11:52 pm:

I am redoing/checking a rear end of a 1924 Model T touring and a 1924 Model TT truck. I have read the Chaffin/MTFCA and Ford Service books and collected good old axle bearings for both(all bearing miced out well and surfaces in good shape). I did not find the acceptable thickness for the axle bearing sleeves in the Chaffin/MTFCA and Ford Service books. What is that acceptable thickness for a Model T and model TT axle sleeve?? I have several sleeves that look good and want to know if they are good on thickness.

Also what is the acceptable thickness for the Model TT worm gear bearing sleeve? I think I have NOS sleeves but the Chaffin/MTFCA and Ford Service books did not have this information either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 12:07 am:

I never worried about how thick they are because all most all of them I have had are worn or flaking/pitted. If they are not worn or flaking/pitting I would use without worrying about how thick the metal is. There will be some up/down back/forth movement, these are not tight bearings like modern roller bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 12:38 am:

The passenger car sleeves that Don Lang sells are made exactly from the Ford print, and the toughness is exact. Don't mess with anything else!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration