OT, Yard sale soldering iron find

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT, Yard sale soldering iron find
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 01:35 am:

Every once in a while something unusual shows up when you don't expect it. Today it was an American Beauty Soldering Iron--the 300 watt version!
My $10 purchase!

Now I have something for "Delicate Electronic work."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 01:41 am:

That's the same cord Rich has on his carburetors !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 07:40 am:

Nice score! Does your delicate electronic work involve overhead power cables? LOL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 07:43 am:

(Message edited by Chad_Marchees on June 18, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 11:11 am:

Neat old soldering iron but I have to say that a Weller gun type iron is easier to hold and manipulate.
It's amazing to find and older style gun in as good as shape as this one is.
Must have been in a tool box or chest and forgotten about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

Chad, It's funny, but I do occasionally work on outdoor overhead wiring! However, I usually use solderless connectors there!
John, Well, yes, but for a really big job, the Weller doesn't have enough heat. Now I don't know if I'll be soldering copper roofs together, but this fall I WILL be soldering pipe organ ducting, and this should fit the bill! Yes, I couldn't believe how nice it is.
BTW, same sale I picked up quite a few Automobile Quarterly magazines, including Vol 1 issues 1 & 2. The stack had already been picked through, but I got issues on Tucker, Stanley, Doble, and Dodge Bros. Off subject, but back in the 70s I had the privilege of visiting Alex Tremulus (sp?) and I still remember him telling me, "If we had had 2 weeks, we would have had 1,000 Tuckers off the assembly line, and there would have been no question of our legitimacy." So close. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

That soldering iron will do things a 300 W Weller can't. The big chunk of copper in that American Beauty is the difference- the ability to transfer the heat to a large mass like a radiator neck etc. The relative small mass of a soldering gun tip has much less ability to transfer the heat quickly for heavier soldering tasks. Great find!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 04:47 pm:

Those are very nice for stained glass work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 07:55 pm:

Looks perfect for all the surface mounted stuff in your kid's XBOX or GameBoy. And folks say that we are too self-absorbed with Model T's to help out the young folks with there problems and requests! Good on you David, we will want photos of any delicate electronic repairs, just so we can live vicariously!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

Evan, ROFL!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 12:40 am:

David,

I bet you could make a lot of money repairing hearing aids with that delicate little iron. Maybe an occasional IPhone as well.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 01:27 am:

That ol' Big Iron would've worked just fine on all of the jumper wires I had on the crummy circuit board in my '80's Gold Star TV remote.
First TV I bought new. Touch, touch, wire is stuck. Add candle wax to insulate the wires and voila! It worked again.
Where the he!! is that old remote? The poor old thing.
The old TV is just about right in front of me. Still works but a transformer whines like crazy (as of 10 years ago).
I need to let that go.
Nice iron!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 08:09 am:

Here is a soldering gun that I bought yesterday at a flea market for $4.00. The instruction sheet is dated 2/54. B-K is now Balkamp, sold at NAPA parts stores, where I work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 10:32 am:

Checked mine this morning. It works. The current one in the NAPA Balkamp catalog sells for $144.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 10:47 am:

David, I am envious of the data plate on that. I use some like that and they work for me.
Burger, those fabric covered cords are one of the delights in my life.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 10:51 am:

I have one similar to David's that was in a box of auction items years ago. The heater finally gave up the ghost after I replaced the cord. Too much power, I guess. :-) It's hard to find short lengths of Ni-Chrome wire to fix the heater. It still takes up space in a tool cabinet though. It's one of those "Some Day" repairs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 11:00 am:

Dave
$10 ?? Wow, what a deal.
Dan McEachern's comments are exactly correct. There is a correct soldering iron tool for each soldering job.
I use a 300 Watt American Beauty soldering iron in my shop for Model T starter field winding repair work. If you buy that soldering iron new is is almost $300.
One of the nice things about the high wattage American Beauty and Hexacon soldering irons is you can buy new parts for them or get them rebuilt by the manufacturer.
Just Google American Beauty or Hexacon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 11:41 am:

Well folks,....the ole sayin is,...."size does matter". This 500W puppy makes the lights dim when I plug it in.
solder iron
solder iron1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

Don, please resize your pics, we want to see that 500W puppy!
Rich, isn't it amazing how nice it is? It's been used, but apparently not abused. I actually haven't plugged it in yet--hold on a sec, shouldn't take long to see if it heats up.YEP, it works!!! :-)
Kinda fast too. . .
Tommy, "Built to give years of service" I guess it's true! How many watts is it, looks pretty large.
Ron, Oooh! There's a Model T use for it too!! Cool!--err, I mean HOT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

Again
solder iron
solder iron1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

again

solder iron
solder iron1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

WOW!!! practically New In Box! And now I know what the rest should look like, hmm, wonder if I missed it at the sale? Oh, it's not 500 watts, it's 550 watts! Yowzers! Watch the electric meter spin!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

1/ I cannot understand why "Burger"is not complaining about you "ripping off" the poor sap running the yard sale !!!

2/ "Donald Vagasky" that is about the size / heat capacity you need for de-soldering and / or re-soldering brass era lamps and such a beast is very hard to come by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

Donald V. said, "Well folks,....the ole sayin is,...."size does matter". This 500W puppy makes the lights dim when I plug it in. "

Heck, Donald, as hot as it's been in Arizona lately, you don't need to plug that iron in at all. Just lay it out on the sidewalk for an hour or so and it'll be hot enough to solder most anything you need !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 01:48 am:

Ivan, actually the assistant selling to me thought the $10 tag on it was overpriced! I haven't tried to take the tip off yet, AB company suggests cleaning the barrel and the tip frequently.
Hmm, new tip is over $60!
We'll see how it looks went it comes out--fortunately I have a small nickel plating kit, if the tip barrel needs plating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 09:27 am:

I had two of these, I bought along with a Allen HCCT and two very good T battery's complete. It was south of Suffolk Va. in the "Great Dismal Swap" area. No body knew what the HCCT was nor the battery's for that matter.
Well,....since this was at a auction, one pays the highest price they are willing to pay.
I'm still a bit embarrassed what I paid, but not loosing any sleep over it.
Yes, it has finally warmed up here......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 10:10 am:

David,

Maybe no need to change the tip! I have one of those extra large ones like Donald, my father passed it to me in '73 and he used it long before that.

On mine, the tip is solid copper and every now and then I find myself filing it to near bright, re-tinning it, and going to town just as good as new. One other nice thing about it is that if you need to solder something when an extension cord just goes too long? Heat it up, unplug it, take it to the work, you have maybe 3 minutes of open time for a rosin core solder...haha...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 12:32 am:

George,
Tip came out of the iron easily, have cleaned it, it has some deep pitting, but I have nickel plated as much as I can, and am ready to re-tin it. Looks like things will be fine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 08:35 am:

Hey Donald, I used an American Beauty soldering iron just like that ! to make spark plug wires for my '22 Fordson F only yesterday. I scavenged up old spark plug wires and unsoldered the 8 copper ends. Cut new wires to length from a roll of stock purchased at a swap meet and resoldered the ends....I thought about you folks when I saw a 'Fans for the Elderly' TV spot the other day. Y'all stay cool and frequently rehydrate there in 120 degree heat.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration